And now, the top 20 jerseys sold

Apr 5, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

St. Louis Cardinals' Freese watches his game winning home run with Texas Rangers relief pitcher Lowe during the 11th inning in Game 6 of MLB's World Series baseball championship in St. Louis

MLB and the MLBPA just released the list of the top 20 jerseys sold in the past year. The list contains the usual gang you’d expect. Except I was somewhat surprised at David Freese at number 20, but I guess that World Series homer was quite the moment for Cards fans. Anyway:

1.    Derek Jeter, New York Yankees
15.  Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees
16.  Ian Kinsler, Texas Rangers
17.  Robinson CanoNew York Yankees
18.  Mariano RiveraNew York Yankees
19.  Carl CrawfordBoston Red Sox
20.  David Freese, St. Louis Cardinals

Cano, Crawford, Freese, Gonzalez, Pence, Rivera and Verlander are new to the top 20. Kind of shocked about Rivera, but there you go.

1. 18thstreet - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM

And thus, everyone who complains about the Yankees, Red Sox and Phillies being ESPN too much can shut up.

• e5again - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Don’t you think ESPN coverage just might affect jersey sales?

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM

To clarify, people that buy those jerseys do not watch many games or sports coverage on ESPN; they watch NESN, SNY, and YES.

• DJ MC - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM

It would probably help your case if eleven of the top twenty weren’t on those three clubs. Or that the only player on the list that isn’t in a major market is Joe Mauer.

• kopy - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM

And Braun, but yeah. It’s tough to say that ESPN shows certain teams because they’re popular, when it’s easily just as possible those teams are popular because ESPN jams them down our throats.

Why do so many people buy Tim Tebow and Jeremy Lin jerseys?

• bigharold - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:53 PM

“…those teams are popular because ESPN jams them down our throats.”

You arguments really doesn’t add up.

It really has nothing to do with them being popular because of ESPN, .. in fact its the opposite. All the three teams in question are from large metropolitan areas with large rabid fan bases, .. which is why ESPN wants them on their broadcast. Large built in base supported by causal fans or fans from other teams that just want to watch baseball..

“Why do so many people buy Tim Tebow and Jeremy Lin jerseys?”

That’s a different phenomenon which is more like the “latest and greatest” fad.

Frankly I, and I’d wager other fans of the three teams mentioned, would rather watch the Yankees on Yes. (or their respective team on their home channel), so that I don’t have to put up with, (up until now), Bobby Valentine making some asinine point because he really hates the Yankees AND he trying to show everybody how smart he is. Nor am I interested in listening to Tim McCarver drone on endlessly like he’s getting paid by the word, (I can’t tell you how many Yankee games I listen to on Fox with the volume off). I’d rather listen to the guys I’m familiar with that discuss not only the game but the issues going on with the team and threads or story lines that are happening.

Networks are giving the casual fan the most popular teams to get ratings, .. not building teams popularity at the expense or their ad revenue.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Joe Mauer…AND David Freese AND Ryan Braun.

2. mdpickles - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:14 PM

No CC Sabathia? Surprised.

• nagrommit - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Only comes in 4XL size.

3. ajcardsfan - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I need to get a new jersey, and I like Freese, because I used to play 3B as well, but I don’t want to feel like a hipster or a fairweather fan. Maybe I’ll get a Yadi jersey. Thumbs up for Molina, Thumbs down for Freese

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I saw this one coming AJ. A lot of Yadi haters out their. The funny thing is…all the haters would absolutely love to have the guy behind the plate for their team.
      Nonetheless…a lot of haters. MY guess is it’s the neck tattoos.

• leonidas98 - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Maybe spitting at an ump during a game?

• ajcardsfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM

After this weekend, I’m thinking maybe a Furcal or Robinson jersey, lol

4. crispybasil - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:18 PM

“Hi, this is Carl Crawford again. Can I get 10,000 more Carl Crawford jerseys?”

5. bigxrob - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:24 PM

How is Tebow not on that list?

6. umrguy42 - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM

“Except I was somewhat surprised at David Freese at number 20, but I guess that World Series homer was quite the moment for Cards fans.”

…AND the fact that Cards fans aren’t buying the jersey of the #3 guy on that list like they used to, and need a new one.

• ajcardsfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I love the creativity I’ve seen of people making #5 into either 15 – Furcal or 50 – Wainwright

7. nagrommit - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM

And how many of those Yankees jerseys sold have the player name on the back? Shouldn’t count if they do.

• jimbo1949 - Apr 5, 2012 at 5:20 PM

They are sold only with the names on the back. Bitch at MLB.

8. poprox13 - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I bet those people who bought the Crawford jerseys would like their money back…..

9. silversun60 - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Maybe I’m biased from being in Toronto… but surprised no Bautista. He’s only hit something like 4000 home runs in the past two years.

• dondada10 - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:43 PM

If it means anything to you, I’m a die hard Mets fan who bought a Bautista jersey out of respect for the man. Best hitter in baseball.

• joeflaccosunibrow - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Maybe because we are disappointed in the candian exchange rate since Obama took over.

10. torothebronxbull - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Why should Rivera be surprising? He’s only the ALL TIME saves leader….idiot…..GO YANKS!

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I said I was surprised that he was NEW to the list: i.e. that he wasn’t in the top-20 before.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Yeah…I thought it was pretty obvious as well Craig.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:52 PM

And, in case it is of use to you, let me also advise that anyone who adds “Go ______” to their post is a tool.

• bigharold - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

“Yeah, before you deploy the word ‘idiot’ you really need to make sure you read properly. ”

Thinking before one acts??? Are you sure you understand how things work around here? Although, it would be a novel concept.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:44 PM

True, I suppose I might be thinking a little optimistically. However, given that the level of commentary here is usually way way higher than ESPN, I guess I tend to hold commenters on this site to a higher standard.

11. myvickinabox14 - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I understood Craig.

12. mrfloydpink - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Wonder how many of those Derek Jeter jerseys went into those special “Derek Jeter gift baskets”?

• drewzducks - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Or all the re-buys after being unable to dry clean all the “Monica” stains.

13. mianfr - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Hunter Pence, really? I mean, Hunter Pence?

Sure he’s a nice player and all, but seriously… Hunter Pence?

• xmatt0926x - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

you would have to have Pence on your team to understand. With him the popularity is due to his personality maybe even more so than being a good player. I’m a cynical bastard and even I find him easy to like.

• judywalk - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Pence is amazingly popular in Philly. After half a season, he has a rep as a “Philly guy.” Goofy, plays with heart 100% of the time, loves the city … he is beloved.

I think it’s pretty cool that 4 of the 20 are Phillies, in the absence of any “Phillies” network, or national effort to create a “Phillies” nation. Says a lot about our fan base!

• rooney24 - May 26, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I would have to think the Pence is helped by having changed teams. If a player changes teams and does well, I would think his sales would spike as a bunch of fans of his new team might buy them.

14. The Baseball Idiot - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Where is the t-shirt list?

15. joeflaccosunibrow - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Where’s my man Jake Arrieta rank?

Now that we’re on the subject, where’s the Orioles ‘head bags’ rank in sales?

16. phillyphan83 - Apr 5, 2012 at 5:44 PM

yeah hunter pence and not because of his stats. its because the team he went to is one of the top fan bases in all of sports. that’s why 4 of the top 11 jerseys are phillies players. we support our team and were a top 5 market in terms of size so do the math. as for the ESPN conspiracy? we HATE when the Phils play on espn or any other network. we love our home town announcers and any time the game is on ESPN, were all still watching on comcast sportsnet! thank you Comcast for showing bowling during phils games so we can watch on can!

p.s. no one is worse than Joe buck!!! worlds worst announcer!!!

• bubba56 - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Lee’s jersey sells in Philly because his name is easy enough that a majority of Phillies fans can spell it.

• judywalk - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM

We sure know how to spell “J-E-A-L-O-U-S.”

• cktai - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Actually I really don’t like the Phillies announcers. Best games are against the Giants so I can switch to Kruk and Kuip.

17. sangamousa - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Rays Fan: Evan Longoria #3

18. Walk - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM

I hate when espn picks up my local games too. Inevitably i get the b game from some other market, usually a ny game, and my usual teams channel is blacked out because of some deal with espn. Dear espn go to $%^^&.

19. makeham98 - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

? ? ? Come on, Sarge rules! Let’s drop the ignorant espn schtick, it gets blacked out in home markets except on Sunday nights.

20. Walk - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I live in northern florida. I have been watching the braves since the early eighties. Fox sports south which carries my braves games gets blacked out when espn carries a braves game. When espn picks the game for my area they do not choose the braves game even if it is the prime broadcast i get whatever they choose as secondary market. It is very irritating.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS