And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights

Apr 5, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT

Cardinals Marlins Baseball

Cardinals 4, Marlins 1:  I wrote up a more thorough summary last night if you’re curious. For now, though, let us note that Angel Hernandez is in midseason form already, calling Omar Infante safe at first base when he was clearly out in the bottom of the eighth. That should have been out number three, but instead a run scored and the inning was extended.

That was pretty inconsequential, of course. Most was in this game compared to the ballpark (garish, but bold and I kind of like it); the pageantry (Dancing girls? Fireworks and flag-bearers? Really?); and the sad sight of Muhammad Ali on that golf cart at the beginning of the game which, man, I don’t know.

But no matter what you thought of any of those specifically, I hope we can agree that baseball doesn’t do spectacle well. I sort of wish they wouldn’t try.  I would prefer a simple “play ball.”

Maybe we’ll get a few more of those today and less sparkle.

1. The Baseball Idiot - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:02 AM

I don’t know. Watching it real-time on television, I thought Berkman pulled his foot.

His foot was making a lot of movement, and the replays (that I saw) only showed one angle. All it takes is for the umpire to see space that we can’t, and the runner is safe.

I agree Hernandez is a bad umpire, but I don’t think it was a blown call (and I’m a Cardinals fan who would have like to have seen the shutout).

Are there replays that show he was defintely out?

• redbirdfan81 - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:27 AM

were you watching the replays? He was out by a half step and Berkman NEVER pulled his foot. Get some glasses, dude.

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Not only that, Berkman had his foot on top of the bag, not against the side, his foot flexed because he was putting extra weight on it, it never moved from the bag. Hernandez also did not make the “you came off the bag motion”, he just blew the call, not an uncommon event for him as he is not a very good umpire (for an MLB ump, he misses easy calls on a regular basis).

• The Baseball Idiot - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Dude, why don’t you read what I wrote? Then you wouldn’t have to make inane comments like you did.

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Why do act like there are no umpires that are bad at their job? I understand you can’t help but defend umpires, but blindly defending guys that are bad at their job (and there are a few of them in the majors) makes it hard to ever take any of your opinions on the issue seriously because there is such obvious bias.

Hernandez blew the call, you have no basis for saying Berkman came off the bag (the replays showed he did come off at all), but you decided to say you didn’t think it was based on nothing. He blew the call, and it wasn’t a close play at all.

• umrguy42 - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I missed it – can somebody provide a video link?

• Senor Cardgage - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Here you go. The ball clearly beats the runner, and it sure looks like Berkman keeps his foot on the bag.

• The Baseball Idiot - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:34 PM

First of all, I neve saw that replay last night. I clearly said so.

Secondly, his foot was clearly off the bag and the runner was safe. I don’t know what replay you guys were watching, but it wasn’t the that one.

What do you guys want? For Herandez to call the guy out just so you don’t complain about the calls? LIke that”s the right thing to do?

You guys have lost it. Seriously. You guys don’t care about what the call is. You just care that you can complain about the umpires. No matter what they do, you guys are going to complain.

Safe, and it isn’t good enough and they don’t know their jobs.

Out, and it isn’t good enough and they don’t know their jobs.

What the hell is wrong with you people?

If you want to complain about the Cardinals losing the shutout, complain about the reliever giving up a double off the wall to a guy like John Buck when the starter had continually gotten the big hitters out all night.

You guys are completely, entirely, utterly hopeless. You”ve lost the ability to watch the game for the beauty of the game, and watch it just to complain about anything. Absolutely friggin’ clueless morons.

• Senor Cardgage - Apr 5, 2012 at 2:06 PM

When the ball beats the runner but the fielder is off the bag, the umpire has a signal to indicate this (both hands in a sweeping motion away from the base). There was no such signal.

• The Baseball Idiot - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The call is safe/out. That is what Hernandez did. I’m not 100% sure that MLB requires the umpire tomake the sweep motion. I would. Hernandez should have.

That is the issue. Not his ability to call the game, but his execution and attitude. It’s two entirely differnt things.

Maybe Hernandez thought it was so obvious that he didn’t need to make the sweep motion. Maybe he’s so arrogant he felt he didn’t need to.

Don’t get me wrong, Senor. This isn’t directed at you. It was a good point that you made.

The point behind all of this is not the fact that Hernandez might or might not have made a good/bad call.

The points (2) are this:

1) People are going to complain about Hernandez not matter what the call, not because he’s right or wrong, but because they just want to complain about Hernandez.

2) The people complaining about the umpires generally have no fucking idea what it is they are complaining about, because they don’t know the rules, they don’t the job, they don’t know the positioning, and they think calling a game on television makes them better than the guys doing it from 10 feet away.

Pissing and moaning for the sake of pissing and moaning is just that.

2. mgv38 - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:07 AM

“I hope we can agree that baseball doesn’t do spectacle well. I sort of wish they wouldn’t try. I would prefer a simple “play ball.””
    Amen, brother. I love baseball, but not on Opening Day. Because Openking Day is not really for devoted baseball fans. It’s for local celebs and businesspeople and other yahoos who will atttend only one game this year. So they can have all the puffery and spectacle. Then they can please, please go away and let the devoted fans of the game enjoy the next 161 games (until the postseason, when unfortunately the spectacle and its shallow sycophants shall return).

• antlerclaws - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I like the military flyovers, they can keep those. For those of us with open-air ballparks, at least. And no, I’m not a hyper-patriot, I just think jets are cool, especially at high speed and low level.

• APBA Guy - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM

There is something about that noise when 4 fighters blow by. Very testosterone-rich.

• delsj - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

- like church on Easter & Christmas for most Catholics :)

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:22 AM

I’d prefer flyovers by predator drones, picking off the incompetent umpires like that bufone Hernandez….though you’d probably need a C-130 with a daisycutter to take out a target as big and hardened as Joe West….

3. spudchukar - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Keep the bunting, dump the rest.

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM

No more bunting. If the pitcher is up with runners on 1st and 2nd and no out…fine, but jeez let’s limit the number of times outs are given away for free.

:-)

• spudchukar - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Again, most runs in a season does not mean more wins. Just ask the four teams watching the 2011 post-season after first round victories.

4. birdsnblues - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:40 AM

That place is a joke ….what the hell is that in the outfield?
    If that swap meet looking park represents the city, then I’m glad I’ve never been to Miami/Havana

• chibios - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Good, as a Miamian, I’m glad you’ve never been here because you clearly don’t understand this city. We have beaches, gorgeous women, and people from all over the world. We do things differently here. If you don’t like it, too bad, we could care less

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Amen. As a fellow Macondoan though, I feel obligated to mention that many centuries ago our council of elders met and condemned weenter to northern exile.

Of course, that was the last time that any governmental body in Macondo made a sane and competent decision about anything….

5. phillyphreak - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Super overreaction of the game: G. Stanton is really not going to like the dimensions of this park.

6. kiwicricket - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Less fluff, more baseball.

7. natstowngreg - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:22 AM

That thing beyond the LCF wall looks like a Carlos Santana album cover. Or rather, a cheap imitation.

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM

We should really compile a list of things we thing the home run feature looks like. Ripley’s must have some kind of standard for the record extenuated metaphor, and I’m sure we could break it easily.

8. aceshigh11 - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I was reading this AM that Muhammed Ali’s frail appearance alongside Jeff Loria at the beginning of the game shocked the audience, and that the reaction was a rather reserved, stunned silence.

Ken Rosenthal thought it was “unnecessary.”

Thoughts?

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Shame on everyone involved. I’m not saying the guy should be an invalid, but this was people cashing in on his name. It was an embarrassing spectacle.

• gregbeau - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Ali’s appearance was really sad. I was watching the game with my brother and we missed his intro. So we’re watching this cart crawl across the outfield with this poor little fellow shaking uncontrollably. “Who’s that?” my brother asked. “I don’t know but he sure has some problems” was my reply. After a minute we heard Ali’s name and were stunned. He looks like he has shrunk dramatically and even aside from the terrible shaking we didn’t even recognize him as Ali. So terribly sad to see. I’m not sure we needed to see that, though perhaps it’s good to understand the toll disease has taken on the poor man.

• kopy - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

It didn’t have to be so bad, but the exectution by the Marlins was horrible. The cart took about an honest two minutes to cross the outfield and reach the mound. The crowd could only cheer for so long, so he got about 3 seperate standing ovations, the 3rd of which had to be induced by the PA announcer.

It was really, really uncomfortable to watch. Deadspin had a pretty accurate story on it somewhere from last night.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Yeah, Deadspin is where I read about it initially.

• leerosenthall - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:00 AM

“Shocked the audience” you say? Not sure if that was a Freudian slip or you were repeating what you heard during the broadcast (I missed the opening festivities), but when the crowd gathered for a sporting event is referred to as “the audience,” you know the game itself has been overshadowed by theater.

For the record, I’m a fan of both, and probably too much of a traditionalist, but I’m always part of the crowd at the ballpark and a member of the audience at a performance.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Alright…crowd, audience. You can make a distinction, but it’s not that big of a deal.

I watched the video, and the crowd did cheer Ali loudly initially, but the ride across the field on the golf cart was excruciatingly slow, and it started to get uncomfortable.

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:34 AM

The scoreboard cameras zoomed in on Ali a couple of times and the longer it took to get out to the mound – to what purpose, since he couldn’t grasp the ball or throw it anyway , is unclear – the longer the crowd had to dwell on how terribly his Parkinson’s has reduced him to an oscillating shell of himself. I don’t care how much you admired him or how compassionate and understanding of the Champ’s situation you are; the effect of the exploitation was appalling nonetheless. The worst part of it was Scrooge McLoria’s fawning and mugging over the Champ. What a jackass. He’s lucky the Chihuahua didn’t run and out try to hump his leg – though how much more embarrassing than the rest of that faux Vegas fiasco it would have been is open to debate.

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:36 AM

I found it heartbreaking, but I wouldn’t expect much more out of Scrooge and the Chihuahua. I think they just set their low-water mark for tastelessness; the home run feature doesn’t even rank next to this gambit.

9. umrguy42 - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Okay, it’s a homer pick, but I think the Cards can do it well, with the Clydesdales running around Busch Stadium, followed by cars with past greats like Stan the Man and Gibby and whoever else.

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Yeah, but if Scrooge McLoria owned the Cardinals Musial would be wearing a Vegas nightclub revue style ostrich feather bonnet – pink and electric blue.

10. cur68 - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I sat in a pub with my friends watching baseball last evening. It was great. It is always great. I ignored the festivities, of course. I’m glad I did. The sight of Ali theses days is enough to make me cry and I never cry. The Marlins didn’t do much, Angel Hernandez did indeed blow a call, and the Cards were clearly the better team: all is as usual in the world.

11. spudchukar - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Yeah, I view it as “The Greatest” vs. “The Worst”

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3437)