Apr 5, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
Cardinals 4, Marlins 1: I wrote up a more thorough summary last night if you’re curious. For now, though, let us note that Angel Hernandez is in midseason form already, calling Omar Infante safe at first base when he was clearly out in the bottom of the eighth. That should have been out number three, but instead a run scored and the inning was extended.
That was pretty inconsequential, of course. Most was in this game compared to the ballpark (garish, but bold and I kind of like it); the pageantry (Dancing girls? Fireworks and flag-bearers? Really?); and the sad sight of Muhammad Ali on that golf cart at the beginning of the game which, man, I don’t know.
But no matter what you thought of any of those specifically, I hope we can agree that baseball doesn’t do spectacle well. I sort of wish they wouldn’t try. I would prefer a simple “play ball.”
Maybe we’ll get a few more of those today and less sparkle.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (125)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (117)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 6
- LIVE: Pacers, Heat jockey for series lead
- MST: Kanaan wins 97th Indianapolis 500
- PBT: Will the real Dwyane Wade please stand up?
- PBT: Popovich pulls all the right strings in Game 3
- Golf: Weekley wins first title since 2008 at Colonial
- Roger Clemens still dogged by NY steroids case