Apr 5, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT
Cardinals 4, Marlins 1: I wrote up a more thorough summary last night if you’re curious. For now, though, let us note that Angel Hernandez is in midseason form already, calling Omar Infante safe at first base when he was clearly out in the bottom of the eighth. That should have been out number three, but instead a run scored and the inning was extended.
That was pretty inconsequential, of course. Most was in this game compared to the ballpark (garish, but bold and I kind of like it); the pageantry (Dancing girls? Fireworks and flag-bearers? Really?); and the sad sight of Muhammad Ali on that golf cart at the beginning of the game which, man, I don’t know.
But no matter what you thought of any of those specifically, I hope we can agree that baseball doesn’t do spectacle well. I sort of wish they wouldn’t try. I would prefer a simple “play ball.”
Maybe we’ll get a few more of those today and less sparkle.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)