Bobby Valentine to appear on Michael Kay’s radio show once a week

Apr 5, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Bobby Valentine Reuters Reuters

Sometimes I wonder if Bobby V. has stock in “Red Sox-Yankees Rivalry, Inc.”

ESPN-1050 has signed Valentine to do a weekly manager’s segment on “The Michael Kay Show.” Not only is 1050’s move unprecedented, but it has Kay, the TV voice of the Yankees, squaring off against Valentine, the manager of the hated Red Sox … The move will not sit well with a segment of Yankees fans who can’t stand the Red Sox and already despise Valentine. But ESPN-1050 suits are hoping these fans will tune into hear this man they love to hate.

That’s a big relief. Because I was worried that there weren’t enough outlets providing us with Bobby Valentine’s thoughts and comments already.

1. El Bravo - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Man, Valentine is a total toolbag. I can’t wait until he’s douchenozzle worthy. Seems like a good year to be a Yankees fan, not so much a citizen of Red Sox Nation.

• cur68 - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Have you made Dykstra and Schilling “Douchenozzle for Life”, yet? We had a consensus a week back that this would be a good move on your part. Maybe one of them could become “Douchenozzle Emeritus” thus filling what is clearly a vacant position. Matter of time before BV joins the list, IMO. That’ll be a good one, when it happens.

• chill1184 - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Man, Valentine is a total toolbag.

___________________

So is Michael Kay and the WFAN gas bag Mike Francessa whats your point?

2. yankeesfanlen - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Oh, for corn’s sake, as if Kay wasn’t agonizing enough to listen to. How do you remove 1050 from an analog radio?

• sdelmonte - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Funny that you don’t like him even though he works for your team, and I like him even though he is not a Mets fan in the least.

Though what I like might be more his sidekick, Mets fan Dom LaGreca. Or that neither of these people is the truly annoying Stephen A. Smith.

• chill1184 - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:46 PM

People need to understand that when your employed by the world wide propaganda house you need to just have a big mouth, intelligence isn’t required.

3. sdelmonte - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Someone said within the past few years that NYC has three baseball teams now: Yankees, Mets and Red Sox. This only confirms it.

He will probably make for a good interview though. Girardi is a master of Jeter-esque answering questions without answering them. Collins is not that exciting even if he’s honest. And you can’t have Cashman on every day. (Cashman gives great interviews. Even if he’s also playing the “I didn’t really answer that question” game, he’s fun to listen to.) So why not bring in Bobby V?

• jonnybaseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:49 AM

It’s a savvy move by ESPN to capture the transplant market in NYC, but I don’t see this move de-throning the “sports pope.” (as abhorrent as he is to listen, sometimes.)

• chill1184 - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Francesa calls himself “sports pope” because he has been there the longest. If it wasn’t for Don Imus going to the national stage he still would just be nothing but an annoying shock jock.

4. Joe - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

May I just say, as a Red Sox fan who’s really not all that worked up about Bobby Valentine’s (shall we say) outgoing personality, that I am already really f—ing sick of reading stories about Bobby Valentine. I can’t imagine what the people who hated his hiring from the start are thinking by now.

That said, first pitch in a little over an hour and a half. I’m ready for that.

5. paperlions - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I love it. Valentine said Francona is “paid to talk”, whereas he is “paid to perform”….and all Valentine seems to do is talk.

• bigharold - Apr 5, 2012 at 3:59 PM

“paid to perform”

Yeah, .. as in an monkey-esque organ grinder sort of way.

6. donbp - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Calcaterra covered most of the bases but forgot to mention all the Yankee fans that despise Kay as well. Maybe he can move to Boston and find a job where he will be appreciated.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

No doubt cries of “SEE YA!!!” would follow Kay as he drove northeast out of the Bronx in shame and defeat.

• surefooted1 - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM

“There he goes…..See Ya a long journey north for Michael Kay!!”

Ken Singleton is sooo much better and easier to listen to.

• daisycutter1 - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM

More David Cone, please.

Al Leiter too.

7. slavetothetrafficlight - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Nice gesture… Bobby V reaching out to the people of Stamford in a capacity that doesn’t put him in charge of overseeing their collective safety. That’s why he’s still more palatable than Ozzie Guillen. Go Rays!

8. mybrunoblog - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

I’ve been listening to Kay for 20 years. He is not afraid to ask tough questions but he will hardly be “squaring off” against Valentine. By the way. Most YAmkee fans like Kay or have you not noticed he has been around since the early 1990’s?
    It is Sterling and Waldman that people despise.

• jonnybaseball - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Sterling is a god. Or is it dog? I’m having trouble seeing the keys on my keyboard.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:04 PM

If length of service is directly proportional to affection of fans, as you say above, then Yankee Fans like Sterling even MORE than Michael Kay.

I don’t hate Kay. I like him more than Sterling, more than the Fox team, more than a good number of the broadcasters for other teams. But I am quite happy when I hear Ken Singleton or Bob Lorenz will be calling a game for the Yankees, and I would not be sad to see Kay replaced by either of those fine gentlemen.

Re: Valentine, I can’t help but wonder when he is going to retire from broadcasting and self-promotion and start managing the Red Sox on a full time basis.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Leave John Sterling Alone!

9. bozosforall - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Red Sox fans and Bobby V deserve each other. Loudmouthed idiots all around.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate