Apr 5, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
That likely won’t impact his return timetable any, as Sizemore is expected to miss 2-3 months following back surgery on March 1.
General manager Chris Antonetti hasn’t ruled out Sizemore being ready by then, but called it “the best-case scenario.” Jordan Bastian of MLB.com notes that Sizemore’s recovery process also involves making his way back from knee surgery, which further complicates things.
Michael Brantley will move from left field to center field with Sizemore out, opening up a lineup spot for Mookie Calcaterra’s favorite player, Shelley Duncan. During the past two seasons Sizemore has played just 104 of a possible 324 games while hitting .220 with a .659 OPS, so even if his latest recovery from surgery involves zero setbacks his playing ability at age 29 is very much in question.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)