Apr 5, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
J.P. Arencibia played the hero, hitting a three-run homer off Jairo Asencio in the top of the 16th inning to lead the Blue Jays past the Indians, 7-4, in the longest Opening Day game on record.
After that followed some rather rare events. The Jays went to five infielders with the bases loaded and one out in the 12th and induced a double-play ball from Michael Brantley to send the game to the 13th. That play led to Omar Vizquel‘s second ever appearance in the outfield, though he was playing between second base at the time. Vizquel then moved to first base the next inning, making just his second career appearance at that position.
The 15th inning saw the benches clear after Luis Perez buzzed Shin-Soo Choo, who was hit in the back 12 innings prior. Choo took several steps toward the mound, causing the benches and bullpens to empty. Order was quickly restored, though, and there were no ejections.
Arencibia helped ended it the next inning, delivering the homer after going 0-for-6 with three strikeouts previously. Jose Bautista was the Jays’ other offensive star, going 3-for-4 with a homer and two walks. Perez got the win after throwing four hitless innings of relief. Jairo Asencio took the loss for Cleveland in his third inning of work.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (79)