Apr 5, 2012, 8:35 PM EDT
J.P. Arencibia played the hero, hitting a three-run homer off Jairo Asencio in the top of the 16th inning to lead the Blue Jays past the Indians, 7-4, in the longest Opening Day game on record.
After that followed some rather rare events. The Jays went to five infielders with the bases loaded and one out in the 12th and induced a double-play ball from Michael Brantley to send the game to the 13th. That play led to Omar Vizquel‘s second ever appearance in the outfield, though he was playing between second base at the time. Vizquel then moved to first base the next inning, making just his second career appearance at that position.
The 15th inning saw the benches clear after Luis Perez buzzed Shin-Soo Choo, who was hit in the back 12 innings prior. Choo took several steps toward the mound, causing the benches and bullpens to empty. Order was quickly restored, though, and there were no ejections.
Arencibia helped ended it the next inning, delivering the homer after going 0-for-6 with three strikeouts previously. Jose Bautista was the Jays’ other offensive star, going 3-for-4 with a homer and two walks. Perez got the win after throwing four hitless innings of relief. Jairo Asencio took the loss for Cleveland in his third inning of work.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)