Apr 5, 2012, 2:44 PM EST
After missing all of last season following shoulder surgery Johan Santana was back on the mound today for the first time since September of 2010 and held the Braves scoreless for five innings in a no-decision.
His fastball topped out in the high-80s, but that wasn’t uncommon for Santana even before the surgery and he racked up five strikeouts in five innings, including Dan Uggla twice.
Santana threw 54 of 80 pitches for strikes while allowing just two hits and two walks. Not quite vintage Santana from his Cy Young-winning days, but close enough that the Mets have to be awfully pleased with how he looked after a 570-day layoff.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 14
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 63
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4