Apr 5, 2012, 4:21 PM EST
UPDATE: Yup, he vultured it! After blowing his first save of the season, Jose Valverde gets the win when Mark Melancon couldn’t keep the Tigers off the bases and Alfredo Aceves couldn’t keep Austin Jackson from singling home the winning run.
4:08 PM: Jose Valverde was absolutely perfect for the Tigers last year, saving all 49 of his 49 save opportunities. I guess it’s a new season, however, because he just blew his first chance in 2012.
Justin Verlander pitched eight shutout innings, and Valverde came in to pitch the ninth with a 2-0 lead. He then gave up a double to Dustin Pedroia, a single to Adrian Gonzalez, a sac fly to David Ortiz which scored Pedroia, and a triple to Ryan Sweeney which scored pinch runner Darnell McDonald. The top of the ninth ended with the score tied at two.
We’ll update if Valverde vultures a win. Some pitchers just know how to win, you see.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)