Apr 5, 2012, 4:21 PM EST
UPDATE: Yup, he vultured it! After blowing his first save of the season, Jose Valverde gets the win when Mark Melancon couldn’t keep the Tigers off the bases and Alfredo Aceves couldn’t keep Austin Jackson from singling home the winning run.
4:08 PM: Jose Valverde was absolutely perfect for the Tigers last year, saving all 49 of his 49 save opportunities. I guess it’s a new season, however, because he just blew his first chance in 2012.
Justin Verlander pitched eight shutout innings, and Valverde came in to pitch the ninth with a 2-0 lead. He then gave up a double to Dustin Pedroia, a single to Adrian Gonzalez, a sac fly to David Ortiz which scored Pedroia, and a triple to Ryan Sweeney which scored pinch runner Darnell McDonald. The top of the ninth ended with the score tied at two.
We’ll update if Valverde vultures a win. Some pitchers just know how to win, you see.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (133)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)