Mark Melancon unimpressed with Bobby Valentine’s quick hook

Apr 5, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT

Mark Melancon

Mark Melancon was the choice to take over in the bottom of the ninth after the Red Sox scored twice in the top of the inning to tie up today’s game against the Tigers. He went on to get one out and then give up two singles, after which he was pulled in favor of Alfredo Aceves. Unsurprisingly, he wasn’t too happy about it. Somewhat surprisingly, he didn’t manage to cover that up in the postgame interview, though he did recover quickly.

Asked whether the hook came quick, Melancon responded:

Yeah, it did. It felt a little quick. But that’s not my job. My job is to get outs and I didn’t do that. I’m not going to think any more about that. I’m just going to continue to try to get outs and get after it.

Melancon spent most of last season as a closer, and he was used to getting opportunities to bail himself out of his own jams in Houston. Valentine didn’t show that same kind of faith in him today, turning to Aceves at the first opportunity. It didn’t work out, either, as Aceves went on to hit a batter and give up a game-ending single, tagging Melancon with the loss.

1. ezthinking - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM

’12 starting like ’11 ended. Sweet.

2. sabatimus - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Oh please Matthew. Melancon’s comments were NOTHING. He didn’t say he was “unimpressed”. In fact, the reporter who asked him asked a question intended to goad Melancon into ripping Valentine, and HE DIDN’T. He answered that it felt a little quick, but there’s no drama here–he said it wasn’t his job to determine if he’s in the game or not. There’s nothing of substance here. Way to trump up a non-story.

• Jack Marshall - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:36 PM

He was asked if it was quick, and it was quick. He didn’t bitch about it. If that wasn’t quick, what IS a quick hook? Christ. Is he supposed to say, “No, Bobby went as long with me as he could; I stink, you know.”?

Hey, I bet he must be one of those guy who told Schil he hates Valentine’s guts! This proves it!

• proudlycanadian - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Hook was one of the great villains in movies and literature.

3. deathmonkey41 - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Yeah, I’m not seeing the controversy here, but I would love for the clubhouse to completely implode in Boston this year with Valentine at the helm.

4. Kevin S. - Apr 5, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Short of Melancon being visibly short on his stuff (and not having it be noticeable in the ‘pen), that was a stupidly quick hook. But yeah, there’s no controversy with what he said.

That said, I can only hope it’s a year of ridonkulous micro-managing from Bobby V.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Bobby V is the smartest guy in baseball in the history of the world! Nobody questions his decisions!

• bigharold - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:56 PM

“Bobby V is the smartest guy in baseball in the history of the world!”

And, if you think brewcrewfan54 is wrong, .. ask Valentine, .. he’ll confirm it unequivocally and without hesitation. After all, .. he invented the wrap!

6. uyf1950 - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:17 PM

…and the season of discontent begins for the Red Sox.

• pisano - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

My friend, some things never change.

• uyf1950 - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM

No they don’t when it comes to team that calls Beantown home.

How are you doing my friend?

• skeleteeth - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Blah first game of the year and Jose Valverde blew a save. That’s what I came away with ultimately.

7. j0esixpack - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Yep… I’m with just about everyone else on this… Those were the most innocuous common sense statements from a guy who you WANT to express confidence in himself.

That was nothing close to a slam on his manager… And the fact of the matter is he gave up two hits, so he knows he’s got no cause to question his manager and doesn’t come across that way.

8. randygnyc - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Of course it was quick. Melancon is no fool. It was a slap in the face, mark. Valentine has little to no confidence in you.

This is gonna be delicious.

9. yankees177 - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Melancon wasnt impressive in ny. I was ecstatic when the red sox traded for him since he isn’t that great a pitcher. But bobby the mouth valentine is 1 for 1 with dumb moves in 2012. Loving it!

10. genericcommenter - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Yankees keep finding new ways to beat the Red Sox.

11. pisano - Apr 5, 2012 at 7:58 PM

There will be many unimpressed with Valentine before he himself gets the hook.

12. hammyofdoom - Apr 5, 2012 at 8:35 PM

The only out that Melancon DID get was a near home run. Seriously, 3 batters, 3 very hard hit balls in a tied game. It was a quick hook Mark, but it was warranted.

• nemike - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:33 PM

He should not have been in there to start the ninth anyway. Morales should have started the ninth after a decent eighth.

13. rcali - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Fire Bobby V!

14. humanexcrement - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Wow. One game into the season and Valentine has already pissed off everyone around the league, and even former players and his own team and the fans. A guy like Ozzie Guillen, I think he’s just an eccentric character who can’t keep his mouth shut and, in truth, doesn’t want to. But there doesn’t seem to be any real malice to the guy. I get the feeling from Valentine that he tries to piss people off and get under their skin and get more press. I also think his time in Boston is going to be pretty short, unless he happens to win the WS this year or next. I really wonder if the Sox have any intention of keeping him. When this nonsense is over in Boston, I’m betting the organization, the players and most of the fans will wish Terry Francona had stuck around.

15. giselleisasucubus - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Red Sox fans and Bobby Valentine unimpressed with Mark Melancon and his terrible pitching. This guy sucks. The Red Sox front office slept this offseason. This is the result. Talented lineup, decent rotation, bullpen sucks. Can someone explain to me why a team would groom a fireball throwing reliever(Bard) and move him to the rotation? Listen, I dont want to hear the Derek Lowe theory. He was a sinkerball pitcher. He didnt rely on a 99mph fastball like Bard did(does). Now his fastball has a few mph off because he has to last for 6 innings? He has 2 pitches. Don’t tell me he has three. This mess is on the pathetic front office that is being run by Scott Zolaks illegitimate twin. Move bard back to the pen and put Cigar Store Indian Padilla in the rotation.

16. nemike - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I never liked Valentine to begin with and IMO, Sox made bad decision.

He made two dreadful mistakes already with pitchers… Melancon is right but Morales should have started the ninth anyway after a successful 8th. I would never have hired Valentine, but I dont make those decisions.

17. dondidon - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:55 PM

UNIMPRESSED ??
    The only thing I am unimpressed with is the fervor of the media to stir up trouble.
    Almost every writer seems to think he/she is God’s gift to journalism with the ability to read minds when all they really want is to gain personal attention.
    As for all the should have, could have, would have — if you are so damn smart why aren’t you an MLB manager ?????

Don't count out the Yankees just yet
  1. R. Castillo (4747)