Apr 5, 2012, 6:11 PM EDT
Mark Melancon was the choice to take over in the bottom of the ninth after the Red Sox scored twice in the top of the inning to tie up today’s game against the Tigers. He went on to get one out and then give up two singles, after which he was pulled in favor of Alfredo Aceves. Unsurprisingly, he wasn’t too happy about it. Somewhat surprisingly, he didn’t manage to cover that up in the postgame interview, though he did recover quickly.
Yeah, it did. It felt a little quick. But that’s not my job. My job is to get outs and I didn’t do that. I’m not going to think any more about that. I’m just going to continue to try to get outs and get after it.
Melancon spent most of last season as a closer, and he was used to getting opportunities to bail himself out of his own jams in Houston. Valentine didn’t show that same kind of faith in him today, turning to Aceves at the first opportunity. It didn’t work out, either, as Aceves went on to hit a batter and give up a game-ending single, tagging Melancon with the loss.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)