Apr 5, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Lannan certainly has every reason to be upset about the decision considering he threw 185 innings with a 3.70 ERA in the majors last season, but if put in general manager Mike Rizzo’s shoes my reaction probably would have been something like: “Believe me, if we could have traded you for anything decent we’d have done it months ago.”
Rizzo’s actual response was much nicer, but basically conveyed the same message, as he told reporters that trade interest in Lannan is “mild” and the trade request won’t change the team’s plans.
Lannan is an example of teams looking beyond ERA when evaluating a pitcher, as his solid-looking 4.00 career mark comes attached to underwhelming raw stuff, one of the worst strikeout rates in baseball, and sub par control.
He’s a relatively durable 27-year-old, left-handed starter who’s never had an ERA worse than 4.65 in five seasons, yet the Nationals unsuccessfully shopped him all offseason, still can’t find a taker willing to give up much of anything for him, and have done everything they can to avoid simply leaving him in the rotation.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)