Apr 5, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that the Reds have offered Phillips a five-year deal in the “neighborhood” of $62.5-65 million. In other words, it’s a shade higher than Dan Uggla‘s five-year, $62 million extension with the Braves from last offseason.
5:20 PM: This morning there was talk of the Reds only offering Brandon Phillips a four year deal that most folks think wouldn’t be enough. Now we hear — from Walk Jocketty himself — that he’s confident a contract extension for Brandon Phillips will be done in a week.
Who knows if it’s the Reds going longer — like maybe giving him the five years that the Braves gave Dan Uggla — or Phillips being willing to accept four, but either way, it would be pretty impressive if the Reds were able to sign Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto within the space of a couple of weeks.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47