Apr 5, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that the Reds have offered Phillips a five-year deal in the “neighborhood” of $62.5-65 million. In other words, it’s a shade higher than Dan Uggla‘s five-year, $62 million extension with the Braves from last offseason.
5:20 PM: This morning there was talk of the Reds only offering Brandon Phillips a four year deal that most folks think wouldn’t be enough. Now we hear — from Walk Jocketty himself — that he’s confident a contract extension for Brandon Phillips will be done in a week.
Who knows if it’s the Reds going longer — like maybe giving him the five years that the Braves gave Dan Uggla — or Phillips being willing to accept four, but either way, it would be pretty impressive if the Reds were able to sign Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto within the space of a couple of weeks.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 19
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 115
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 55
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (115)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (97)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along