Apr 5, 2012, 8:55 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that the Reds have offered Phillips a five-year deal in the “neighborhood” of $62.5-65 million. In other words, it’s a shade higher than Dan Uggla‘s five-year, $62 million extension with the Braves from last offseason.
5:20 PM: This morning there was talk of the Reds only offering Brandon Phillips a four year deal that most folks think wouldn’t be enough. Now we hear — from Walk Jocketty himself — that he’s confident a contract extension for Brandon Phillips will be done in a week.
Who knows if it’s the Reds going longer — like maybe giving him the five years that the Braves gave Dan Uggla — or Phillips being willing to accept four, but either way, it would be pretty impressive if the Reds were able to sign Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto within the space of a couple of weeks.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)