Apr 5, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Phillips is on the option year of his last deal and I’m sure the Reds would love to keep him, but he’s probably going to get longer offers once he hits the market. Whether those offers would be wise for a guy who will be entering his age-32 season in 2013 is an open question — second basemen don’t age particularly well — but he’ll likely get them if he has another year like the last five he’s had in Cincinnati.
The Reds aren’t widely expected to give him something great, though, what with them backing the money truck up to Joey Votto.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)