Where did walkup music come from?

Apr 5, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

Nancy Faust

There’s an article over at NBC Washington by Kate Kilpatrick about walkup music. It’s been around for a while — and pro wrestling fans have been aware of it even longer — but where did it come from?  Part of the answer was totally news to me:

Twenty years ago, only a few major league players had walk-up songs. These days nearly all of them do, thanks in part to a spunky young organist, a salesman’s CD collection and a transvestite prostitute named Lucille.

If that tease doesn’t get you to read the article, there’s no hope for you. And while I was well aware of the spunky young organist — Nancy Faust, pictured to the rights — how I never heard about the transvestite prostitute story — which involves Dave Stewart — is an utter mystery to me.

1. antlerclaws - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM

My walkup music would be Pixies’ “Where is My Mind?” When the fans here the eerie opening “ooh-ooooh”, they fall into a hushed silence, the quiet acoustic strumming begins and then Joey Santiago’s electric guitar blazes in as I step into the box and the ballpark erupts. I can dream.

2. acheron2112 - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Mine would be “Tom Sawyer” by Rush, and I’m only half saying that to bait Craig.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM

No, it’s cool. That was Kerry Von Erich’s walk-in music, so it gets mad props from me in that respect.

3. mulletcork - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:48 AM

You can thank P.S. Michael Hayes and The Fabulous Freebirds for walkup music brother.

Now I’m gonna go listen to Badstreet U.S.A!!

4. Jonny 5 - Apr 5, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I always enjoy putting walk up music to players for fun. Let’s see I’ll start.

Kevin Gregg will walk out to ring of fire by Johnny Cash.

• ptfu - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Kevin Greggggggg should use “Nuthin’ but a ‘G’ Thang”

Sorry, couldn’t stop myself

• ajcardsfan - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Josh Hamilton – Alcohol

Too harsh?

5. rickset - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I’d choose the chorus from “Homer at the Bat” to be my walk up music

6. hasbeen5 - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’m walking up to Nelly’s “Batter Up” in my softball game tonight

7. Gamera the Brave - Apr 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I’ll go with “Monkey Time” by The Tubes, great duet with the great Fee Waybill and Martha Davis of The Motels.

And no, I have no idea why that song popped into my head.

8. jlove42 - Apr 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Nancy Faust was behind the “Na-na-na-na..na-na-na-na.. hey hey hey.. goodbye” when a team is removing a pitcher from the game because he’s getting smoked? I may be wrong… but I may be right

• jlove42 - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

The internet has answered my questions… Nancy did originate this great tradition

9. cur68 - Apr 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Sesame Street theme for me. Dunno why, but I love that jingle. Besides, I look just like Grover.

10. gottagotowork99 - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Too easy…
    Nazareth – Hair of the Dog. “Now you’re messin’ with… a son of a b*tch! Now you’re messin’ with a sumna-b*tch!”

11. madhatternalice - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Serious question: where does NARAS fit into all this? Do sports teams have carte blanche to play whatever they want? Seems like there should be some compensation to the artist, no?

12. stackers1 - Apr 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I think a good song for a hitter to come up to would be Muddy Waters, Got My Mojo Working.

13. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I’d use Peter Gabriel’s “Here Comes the Flood.” What a twist!

14. Walk - Apr 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Another cash tune for me, “Man in Black”. I have not listened to it in years so i might have gotten title wrong but i have loved it every time i hav heard it played.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3005)