And That Happened: Thursday’s Scores and Highlights

Apr 6, 2012, 6:00 AM EDT

Toronto Blue Jays vs Cleveland Indians Getty Images

Blue Jays 7, Indians 4: I was invited to go to this game by the Indians, where I would have watched it for free from the Tribe Social Suite. Because of family entanglements I was not able to go, and when I sent the Indians my regrets, I was very sad about it. But 16 innings on a 44 degree day, with beer sales being cut off for more than half the game? Er, kinda glad I didn’t go.

What I missed, of course, was an excellent Justin Masterson getting boned and a bunch of near-fisticuffsmanship, en route to the longest game in Opening Day history. J.P. Arencibia won it with a three-run homer in the 16th. Casey Kotchman and Colby Rasmus each went 0 for 7, which surpasses golden and platinum sombreros by a mile. I think they were unobtanium sombreros. Good show!

Reds 4, Marlins 0: Johnny Cueto tossed seven shutout innings as the Marlins did their part to contribute to the NL East’s collective offensive ineptitude on this Opening Day v3.0.  Indeed, the entire division played yesterday, and they scored a total of four runs.

Phillies 1, Pirates 0: Eight shutout innings, two hits, no walks and five strikeouts for Roy Halladay. Ho-hum. Remember when we were supposed to care about his lack of velocity? Nah, me neither.

Tigers 3, Red Sox 2: Wrote this up yesterday, both here and here.  So for now, I’ll leave you with this depiction of Jose Valverde‘s day.

Mets 1, Braves 0: The Red Sox and Braves both lose in dispiriting fashion. It’s like 2011 never ended. Not that the Braves didn’t have a couple of chances, but they’re the Braves and they don’t win games unless three guys hit homers and stuff.  Johan Santana got headlines for being impressive — and given his recent history, he was impressive — but Atlanta squandered a couple of good opportunities here.

Nationals 2, Cubs 1: The Cubs waste a fantastic Ryan Dempster start in which he struck out ten in seven and two-thirds. Stephen Strasburg was nearly as good, but neither figured in the decision. Ian Desmond singled in the winning run in the ninth.  The Cubs, in contrast, ran their way out of a scoring opportunity in the bottom of the ninth when pinch-runner Joe Mather was thrown out trying to score on a grounder to third. Too bad my little league coach wasn’t there to yell at Mather to make sure the ball got through. He was really good at teaching 11 year-olds that.

Dodgers 5, Padres 3: Clayton Kershaw started this game despite suffering from a nasty flu that had him vomiting and — according to Vin Scully — having diarrhea. Which I’m going to go out on a limb and guess was the first and last time in his 60+ year career that Scully said the word diarrhea during a broadcast.  Kershaw looked like he was going to be able to hold up for a while — he threw three shutout innings and he even hit a double — but ran out of mojo. Five Dodgers relievers held the Padres off, while Edinson Volquez walked in two runs with the bases loaded. Matt Kemp hit a homer and was caught stealing, so his quest to become the first member of the 50/50 club was partially successful.

Only one more Opening Day, folks!

1. bleedgreen - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:04 AM

Halladay’s velocity WAS down. I was watching via MLB.com yesterday, and I don’t think I saw any of his cutters hit even 91. Usually he brushes 93 with them. It didn’t seem to matter, and I don’t know if its a big deal, but 3mph difference is big. Unless thats just exactly what he wanted to do? I’m certainly not gonna question Doc.

• drmonkeyarmy - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:28 AM

You are right, the velocity was down. I only was able to watch the first 4 innings, but I didn’t see anything top 91. I only recall one “straight” fastball. It was high in the zone to McCutchen and he swung through it. Still, it was only at 91. I don’t think it much matters for Doc though. He doesn’t really rely on power….more on movement and location. He pitched very very well though. Got a bit of help with Jr. in LF. Ibanez doesn’t make those plays. I sincerely hope this isn’t the offense we will see all year though. My stomach can’t take it.

• phillyphreak - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:42 AM

The bunting/attempted bunting has to stop too…..

Mayberry took super curious routes to those balls though…his athletic ability more than made up for his bad reads.

• mercyflush - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I dont remember him hitting 93 at all last year, if he did it certainly wasnt on the cutter (which isnt his fastest pitch).

according to fangraphs his avg fastball velocity last season was 91.9, cutter was 90.6. yesterday he was at 90.2 and 89.1, respectively. so yes his velocity on opening day was down about 1.5 mph from what he averaged all of last season. Honestly though, I would think that is somewhat normal for the beginning of the year. I dont have time to look that up but its logical.

I would hazard a guess that over the next month or so his velo creeps up to a level similar to last season.

2. phillyphreak - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:17 AM

That Jose Bautista guy is gonna be good one day.

3. wlschneider09 - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM

We only start handing out sombreros for three or more strikeouts, and Rasmus and Kotch only had two between them.

4. yankeesfanlen - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Vin Scully even flawlessly brings “diarrhea” into the patter and pattern of the play-by-play.
    And his story about the 1913 Dodgers made you think he was there.

• contraryguy - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Are you sure he wasn’t?

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I was setting that up waiting for someone to provide the punchline. Thanks, contraryguy, you win the Interwebs for today.

• natstowngreg - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

How many other announcers could discuss diarrhea without it degenerating into a junior high school-level discussion?

Um, can’t think of any.

5. If the Shoe Fits - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Spring has sprung, leaves are sprouting, games are being played, and ATH is starting my day.

Yeah, life is good again.

• southpaw2k - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself, my friend. How I’ve missed And That Happened.

6. proudlycanadian - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:03 AM

You missed a great game Craig. Rasmus made a great diving catch in the outfield. The Indians walked Bautista with 2 out and the only open base on third. Davis then flied out to the warning track. Pinch running, Rajai Davis scored the tying run from first. Lind probably would not have scored. Davis later failed to run on a poor bunt attempt leading to a double play. The Jays successfully used 5 infielders in a 1 out, bases loaded situation. Vizquel ended the game playing at first base. The 7 Jays relievers combined for 11 innings of scoreless baseball.

7. kiwicricket - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Round of applause for the first ‘substantial’ ATH of the season.

8. scapistron - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Clearly Masterson just doesn’t know how to win.

9. funkygoorilla - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Even if my Yanks lose today. knowing that the RedSox ended last season losing, and started this season losing made my day!

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Yankees losing is not part of the program

• funkygoorilla - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Agreed, but I always feel like I jinx myself. Ahh growing up is hard to do.

10. kopy - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Well after 4 days of the season (3 Opening Days, but OAK/SEA played twice), the Twins are tied for 2nd in the Central. They have a full half game up on the Indians, and are only a half game behind the Tigers. Looking like a lock for that 2nd wild card, you guys.

• cur68 - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Stay positive Chris. Blue Jays are 1.00 on the season and Bautista is on pace for 160+ homeruns.

11. sdelmonte - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I know two games do not a season make, and one of those games was played after the Marlins flew from a night game to a day game. But they have all of 7 hits so far, and 3 are by Reyes. Jose must feel like he never left New York so far.

12. johnnyb1976 - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Volquez is back up to his old tricks again. Thanks Padres for taking him off our hands and watch Latos dominate every 5 days fot Cincy

13. APBA Guy - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:59 AM

A’s and Mariners resume their “Who Cares?” series today. Because of the break in schedule to allow recovery from the flight back from Japan, the A’s get to face the King again tomorrow. If King Felix could pitch against the A’s every series, he’d be the odds-on Cy Young.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3094)