Brewers talks to extend Doug Melvin and Ron Roenicke are moving right along

Apr 6, 2012, 3:08 PM EDT

Ron Roenicke

Tom Haudricourt spoke with Brewers’ owner Mark Attanasio, and he said that talks with general manager Doug Melvin and manager Ron Roenicke for extensions and progressing nicely, and that a deal for both of them should be in place soon.

Seems like it’s a nice fit of all of these parts in Milwaukee. ¬†Like I said during spring training, I’m particularly impressed with Roenicke’s temperament and demeanor, and if I owned a team I think that’s the kind of guy I’d want managing it.

Also, if I owned a team I’d be sitting in the front row in a jersey, drinking beer and yelling at umpires and stuff, so maybe I’m not the best judge.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Great news if you’re a Brewer fan. That is unless you’re one of the rare ones who don’t like one or both of them and sadly those guys exist.

• nightman13 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I personally am leery of Melvin at times because he always built teams to live and die by the long ball. The game has changed and it looks like he’s adapted a stronger focus on pitching. The other thing that worries me is all of the Brewers’ young talent was traded away and a lot of the recently highly drafted players have had some issues. The only reason the Brewers are where they are is because of great drafting and grooming, and being in such a small market that is the only way they will be competitive.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Melvin missedin the draft with pitching for a while is true. But the fact remains that through some decent trades, scrap pile pickups and free agent signings he’s built a pretty damn good team. If thats not good GMing I don’t know what is. And our pitching prospects right now are looking pretty good for the future. Being a good GM isnt easy. You just have to hope you make more good moves than bad and Melvin has certainly done that.

• nightman13 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I agree. I think he’s done a good job, but now with Prince gone pitching has gotten a lot more important for the Brewers.

After building a team around young homegrown guys like Braun, Fielder, Weeks, Hart, Lucroy, Gallardo, Axford, etc. and supplementing them with good trades and signings the Brewers have enjoyed a lot of success.

I just hope that now that Prince is gone and with the roid era over Melvin adapts to the changing environment rather than trying to recreate the past.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Look at todays lineup and compare ot with last years opening say lineup. I’ll take this years without Prince any day of the week over last years. And if you cant look at what he gave up to get Marcum and Greinke along with looking at at least the last 2 drafts and realize there is a high priority on getting good pitching you havent been paying attention.

• nightman13 - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I didn’t say it wasn’t a priority, I questioned the execution of it. A lot of high draft picks were spent and whiffed, thus causing the need to trade away a lot of young talent to acquire pitching.

Well now that the bulk of the major league ready talent has been traded out of the farm system it has to be built back up. Just because something is a priority doesn’t mean it is executed well. Pitching was a priority when he brought in Doug Davis, Braden Looper and Gange.

The point I’m making is the Brewers had of the best farm systems in baseball several years back. Now the bulk of those guys make up the current major league roster. Then there were a series of drafts where highly picked players haven’t panned out yet. The remaining farm talent was dealt for pitching. Being a small market team means our only real opportunity to compete for a long period of time is to home grow the talent and lock them up early.

Obviously nobody hits on all their picks, but in 3 to 4 years this roster will need an overhaul and until some of those recent picks start panning out I will be worried.

2. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM

If I owned a team I’d buy the Rays (so that I can keep the front office and Maddon), move them to Portland, hire Ken Griffey Jr. away from the Mariners, trade for R.A. Dickey, demand to see Luke Scott’s birth certificate every day, sell the stadium’s naming rights to Pabst Blue Ribbon, and hire Old Gator to run public relations.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic