Buster Posey to catch three straight to begin the year

Apr 6, 2012, 12:47 AM EST

Buster Posey Reuters

It doesn’t look like Buster Posey‘s workload will be too limited initially. The Giants plan to have him catch all three of their games this weekend before giving him his first day off on Monday.

Rookie Hector Sanchez will catch Barry Zito in the team’s fourth game.

Posey has made terrific progress in recovering from last year’s ankle injury, and though the Giants took it easy on him at the beginning of the spring, he’s suffered no setbacks since ramping it up.

The Giants haven’t really indicated whether they intend to give Posey occasional starts at first base in order to keep his bat in the lineup. It seems like that’s a fallback option right now, hinging both on how his ankle holds up and on how well the combination of Brandon Belt and Brett Pill produces at first base.

1. nogoodtomedead - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Hope they don’t regret this in August or September. But I guess division games are division games- and Dbacks are the reigning top dogs of the division.

2. johnnyb1976 - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM

The Giants are going to ruin this kid leaving him behind the plate, play him at first base.

• hackerjay - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:31 PM

His bat is great for a catcher, but mediocre for a first baseman. No reason to kill his value and move him yet.

• nogoodtomedead - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I agree- he isn’t a pure power hitter/run producer that you hope a first basemen to be- but his offensive production as a catcher would be one of the best in the league. He’s also got leadership and game I.Q. that is a benefit behind the plate. Maybe move him one day- but he’s got a whole lot of years to go before that.

• Matthew Pouliot - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I agree about leaving him behind the plate, but look at the NL’s first basemen… I bet he’d be the second or third best right away.

• hackerjay - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Even with Pujols and Fielder leaving the NL I think there are 4-5 guys that are still better hitters at first then Posey. Votto, Berkman, Howard (assuming he comes back, that is), Ike Davis, and probably Goldschmidt, Helton, and Freeman. Honestly if they moved Posey to first, I think the best he could ever be would be something like LaRoche in his prime, with a bit more batting average. That’s good enough to stick around the league for a long time, but it’s a second division starter.

There’s also the issue that Belt will probably be a better hitter then Posey, so taking at bats away from him just wouldn’t make much sense.

• johnnyb1976 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I have to disagree I dont think it will decrease his value. I think it will let his bat grow without taking an everyday beating behind the plate.

3. nogoodtomedead - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:23 PM

But when Belt is a natural first basemen with big-time potential your not strengthening your team overall. Your creating a logjam. Maybe if Belt could be an everyday outfielder- but I have my doubts.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester