Great Moments in over-managing: Joe Girardi Edition

Apr 6, 2012, 3:39 PM EST

Joe Girardi AP

I’m listening to the Yankees-Rays game. First inning, two men on, two men out for the Rays, first base open. Sean Rodriguez at bat. Joe Girardi decides to intentionally walk Rodriguez to get to Carlos Pena.

Carlos Pena works the count full and then hits a grand slam.

Just before that happened the Rays’ radio guy said that Girardi was competing with Buck Showalter for “the most over-managing Yankees manager of all time.”

Maybe not the most fair criticism ever — Carlos Pena had been 1 for his last 29 against Sabathia — but don’t you always prefer to face the worst hitter over the better one?

1. phukyouk - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:44 PM

been saying it since 2008 and I say it still. I HATE Giradi

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Fire his ass, and while your at it fire Bobby V. Those bums have proved once again they are idiots. Granted we are only talking about one game: but, my God its all going to hell in a hand basket.
      War TLR coming out of a black out to find out (A) he aint managing and (B) AP signed with the Angels.

2. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Are you using MLB.com’s media center Craig? Or is there another legal way to stream radio broadcasts?

Also, head’s up to those of you stuck without a television today like me, the free mlb.tv game tonight is Dodgers-Padres, 10:05 eastern. This is like the best thing MLB has done in a decade.

• Craig Calcaterra - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I have MLB.tv, listening to radio instead of watching because it’s easier for me to work that way.

• paperlions - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

You work?

• leerosenthall - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I have MLB.tv and had just tuned into that game and caught the GS. Didn’t realize the previous batter had been intentionally walked, but that explains the look on Girardi’s face after it happened. Priceless!

MLB.tv is a mess right now. It was working great until about a week ago and now there are all these problems with the sizing of the screen, so it’s very difficult to keep in mini mode while working. I tried MLB.tv out last season after the All-Star break for a really low price and fell in love with it, so I re-upped for a full season this year. Now that the regular season’s begun and they have my money, naturally it’s not working properly. SO frustrating.

• paperlions - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Lee, MLB.TV tends to be iffy the first few days of the season every year….I’m not sure if they wait until real games to install upgrades or if it is just related to heavier traffic. The problems usually go away within a few days. I’ve been using it for 4 years, fantastic way to watch/listen to baseball from all over the country.

• leerosenthall - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

@paper, thanks for the scoop. I do really love it, but it’s been so frustrating trying to use it the last week or so. And then you go to their “support” forums, with some admin people saying they’re aware of the problems and are working on it, and others telling you to adjust your “zoom” (D’oh, I never thought of that!) and it’s even MORE frustrating.

• Jeremy Fox - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM

paperlions is right, the mlb.tv and online radio packages always work crappy for the first few days of the season. I have no idea why they can’t test their annual upgrades properly before the season starts. But they do seem to get things ironed out within a week or so.

3. wendell7 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Keep up the good work, Joe

4. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Bobby V will have a column with the same title dedicated to him soon enough.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Yeah, I guess the race is on.

• bigharold - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Leave Joe Girardi Alone.

5. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I think the real story here is that the Trop looks close to full and this isn’t even a playoff game.

• indaburg - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:18 PM

It was a sell out. Tomorrow’s game is sold out too.

6. proudlycanadian - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Sabathia had a 5.00 ERA this spring. He is off to a slow start. Not sure if he will be dominant or just average this season.

7. hittfamily - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Rodriguez has an OPS over .800 vs lefties.
    Pena has an OPS over .600 vs lefties.
    Call me crazy, but I’d rather have pena in the box too.

Welcome home ‘Los.

• thefalcon123 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM

BUT…

Would you rather have on the .800 OPS guy with two men or the .600 OPS guy with 3 men on?

• hittfamily - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:18 PM

Pena is hitting just above .150 vs lefties the last 3 years. I’d take the 85% chance that the inning is over rout.

• thefalcon123 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

First off, his OBP against lefties were .260, .316 and .332. So you’re really comparing 69.8% chance of an out to a 64% chance of an out with Rodriguez.

Secondly, what you are trading is the greater likelihoods for an out with the greater likelihood of more runs scoring. Seems like a silly trade to make with two outs in the first innings.

• hittfamily - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:28 PM

85% chance they are out of the inning. Throw in CC as a lefty killer, and up that to 90%.

• phillyphreak - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:34 PM

“Sabathia is not going to walk him,”

Bet you said the same thing before Sabathia walked Brett Myers huh?

• thefalcon123 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

“Sabathia is not going to walk him, so throw obp out the window in that situation. A hit or an error is the only way they score. Pena k’s 1/3 of the time, so an error isn’t highly likely either. ”

HA! Excellent point! That means Sabathia knows he has to throw it in the zone and so does Pena. Pena doesn’t have to worry about fishing for something out of the zone because the area in which Sabathia can throw the ball got much smaller with the bases loaded. You have inadvertently supported my argument. Thank you!

• hittfamily - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

He took it full, which means at least 3 balls were thrown out of the zone. Maddon is batting Jeff Keppinger 4th, because pena is batting .030 off Sabathia. Even Penas own manager has no faith in him vs Sabathia.

8. aceshigh11 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Heh. Makes yesterday’s Sox loss a bit more palatable in retrospect.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

For non Red Sox fans most Red Sox losses are palatable.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Nice to see you, proudly.

Good to see that your snarkiness hasn’t abated in the off-season…good luck to your Jays this season!

• proudlycanadian - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Thank you for the kind comments. I actually like Boston a lot as a city. As a Jays fan, I have to cheer against Boston’s baseball team.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Well I know we’ve butted heads before, but there’s no point in making enemies.

Of course there are exceptions when people are just plain obnoxious (dirtyharry, bozos4all), but generally, bickering on messageboards is a pointless exercise.

I don’t live in Boston…I’m about 2 hours southwest of there, but it is a really fun city.

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Aces, isn’t 2 hours SW of Boston called Hartford? I’m in eastern CT (about 2 hrs SW of Boston).

9. dondada10 - Apr 6, 2012 at 3:59 PM

On an aside, feel lucky that you didn’t have to listen to the YES Network crew. Kay and Pinella is like listening to an ornery old man and his effeminate son.

10. rob0527 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Joe over managed this time. I was watching the game, and the guys on YES we’re second guessing him as Pena hit.

11. leerosenthall - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Rauuuuuul!

Who looks worse today, Sabathia or Shields?

12. yankeesfanlen - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:14 PM

If we keep Joe in the dugout we might be ok

13. randygnyc - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Sabathia just gave it up to longoria. Yanks clinging to a 6-5 lead. Not impressed with the 2012 version of sabathia, yet. Gonna be a long year.

• brewcrewfan54 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM

First regular season start. Step back from the ledge.

14. hank10 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:21 PM

This about sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STeVTzWelns

15. poprox13 - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:22 PM

lol

16. kenplain - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I would also say that batting Keppinger clean up is a bit worse over managing than to walk a batter to get to a guy the pitcher has had great success with. What I see are Yankee haters using any excuse to trash the Yanks

• proudlycanadian - Apr 6, 2012 at 4:31 PM

As far as the Yankees and Red Sox are concerned, I am an equal opportunity hater, but I did draft more Yankees tha Red Sox for my fantasy team.

• hittfamily - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Keppinger went 2 for 3. Pretty good managing.

• zackd2 - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM

It depends if you judge managing based on the process and reasoning behind decisions, or the outcome.

• hittfamily - Apr 6, 2012 at 9:30 PM

The process and reasoning was simple. Keppinger is the 4th best hitter on the team vs lefties.

17. zackd2 - Apr 6, 2012 at 6:50 PM

I will be waiting for your post on Joe Maddon. Men on first and third, 2 strikes, calls double steal and suicide squeeze. He of course bunts foul and is out, Rodriguez is sent back to 3rd, and the next batter strikes out.

18. hittfamily - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Wow. Rays put up 5 on CC and 2 on Rivera. Longoria……start the MVP counter. Maybe this offense will do more than thought. Add BJ to that lineup, and it’s looking pretty solid 1-7.

19. leerosenthall - Apr 6, 2012 at 7:11 PM

And Rivera blows the save AND loses the game. That truly was EPIC!

20. hpt150 - Apr 7, 2012 at 12:58 AM

@aceshigh – 2 hours southwest of Boston? That means you live at Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun. Lucky guy.

21. bbk1000 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Girardi likes to inject himself into any situation, many times for the worse. You’d think he would let the game unfold a bit, especially early on with your #1 on the mound.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5537)