Apr 6, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
I’m listening to the Yankees-Rays game. First inning, two men on, two men out for the Rays, first base open. Sean Rodriguez at bat. Joe Girardi decides to intentionally walk Rodriguez to get to Carlos Pena.
Carlos Pena works the count full and then hits a grand slam.
Just before that happened the Rays’ radio guy said that Girardi was competing with Buck Showalter for “the most over-managing Yankees manager of all time.”
Maybe not the most fair criticism ever — Carlos Pena had been 1 for his last 29 against Sabathia — but don’t you always prefer to face the worst hitter over the better one?
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)