Apr 6, 2012, 3:39 PM EDT
I’m listening to the Yankees-Rays game. First inning, two men on, two men out for the Rays, first base open. Sean Rodriguez at bat. Joe Girardi decides to intentionally walk Rodriguez to get to Carlos Pena.
Carlos Pena works the count full and then hits a grand slam.
Just before that happened the Rays’ radio guy said that Girardi was competing with Buck Showalter for “the most over-managing Yankees manager of all time.”
Maybe not the most fair criticism ever — Carlos Pena had been 1 for his last 29 against Sabathia — but don’t you always prefer to face the worst hitter over the better one?
- The Lester trade is a win-win 27
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 100
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 37
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (117)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)