Apr 6, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Michael Pineda begins the season on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis after showing decreased velocity in Yankees camp and today manager Joe Girardi admitted that it’s “safe to say” Pineda won’t be in the majors until at least May.
Freddy Garcia resumes fifth-starter duties with Pineda out of the picture, but it’ll be interesting to see how the Yankees handle their rotation next month.
Assuming that Pineda gets healthy and Andy Pettitte continues to build up arm strength they’ll have seven starters for five spots, although at this point I suppose that’s a “cross that bridge when they get there” problem.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 16
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 23
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 41
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)