Apr 6, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Michael Pineda begins the season on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis after showing decreased velocity in Yankees camp and today manager Joe Girardi admitted that it’s “safe to say” Pineda won’t be in the majors until at least May.
Freddy Garcia resumes fifth-starter duties with Pineda out of the picture, but it’ll be interesting to see how the Yankees handle their rotation next month.
Assuming that Pineda gets healthy and Andy Pettitte continues to build up arm strength they’ll have seven starters for five spots, although at this point I suppose that’s a “cross that bridge when they get there” problem.
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 23
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 4
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 25
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 33
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 87
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)