Apr 6, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Michael Pineda begins the season on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis after showing decreased velocity in Yankees camp and today manager Joe Girardi admitted that it’s “safe to say” Pineda won’t be in the majors until at least May.
Freddy Garcia resumes fifth-starter duties with Pineda out of the picture, but it’ll be interesting to see how the Yankees handle their rotation next month.
Assuming that Pineda gets healthy and Andy Pettitte continues to build up arm strength they’ll have seven starters for five spots, although at this point I suppose that’s a “cross that bridge when they get there” problem.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 21
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)