Apr 6, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Jose Contreras took a big step in his recovery from elbow surgery yesterday when he appeared in a minor-league game, but his Single-A outing lasted only 11 pitches and was full of control problems.
Bob Brookover of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Contreras threw four strikes and seven balls, including two wild pitches, and allowed three runs while recording just one out. In other words, he was a mess.
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. predictably downplayed the ugly outing, saying:
He’s perfectly fine. He’s going through the process of a rehab. Somebody booted a ground ball behind him that was ruled a hit and his location wasn’t great, but he’s perfectly fine physically. He had poor location and got beat up, but that’s why he’s rehabbing.
Fair enough, and certainly Contreras will have plenty of time to get on track before the Phillies consider activating him from the disabled list, but the 40-year-old right-hander also got knocked around for a 19.29 ERA in spring training. Right now he’s a $2.5 million question mark.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 73
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)