Apr 6, 2012, 12:29 AM EDT
With Andres Torres headed to the disabled list because of a strained left calf, the Mets are planning to promote Kirk Nieuwenhuis from Triple-A prior to Saturday’s game.
Nieuwenhuis is recovering from an injury himself, having been down for most of the spring with a strained oblique. That prevented him from getting much play as a candidate to fill in when it looked like both Torres and Scott Hairston might start the season on the DL. Nieuwenhuis, though, is back on the field now and he went 0-for-2 in Thursday’s Triple-A opener.
Nieuwenhuis hit .298/.403/.505 in 53 games for Triple-A Buffalo last year before suffering a torn labrum in his left shoulder and missing the second half of the season. Baseball America rates him the Mets’ No. 7 prospect.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 45
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17