Opening Day at Comerica Park: “a miserable experience from beginning to end”

Apr 6, 2012, 9:58 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

Opening Day is great in theory, but not always great in practice. Especially if you go to the ballpark. Why? You realize that it’s amateur hour, with people who never go to a ballgame making a holiday out of it. And by that I mean that they drink until they’re blind and generally act like jerks.

Go read DesigNate Roberton’s post about yesterday’s Opening Day in Detroit and you’ll find exactly that scene. He called it “a miserable experience from beginning to end,” and I have to agree with him.

Viva mid-June weeknight games with the park half full of people who know the hell what they’re doing.

1. fellspointbird - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Hi Craig,

Big Orioles fan here, I’d like to talk about your comment about half-full ballparks on weeknights in June…

• bmorelikeme - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM

fellow orioles fan here…I hope it’s half full when I make it out to the yard tomorrow.

• southpaw2k - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I think the only day during the entire season when Camden Yards is full of Orioles fans is on Opening Day. I’ll be out there at Pickles with about 8000 other people before the game today. Then by mid-June I doubt there will be more than 10,000 people during a weeknight game.

• kingmiedus - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Man pickles pub is awesome. I’m from the Toronto area but did a little baseball trip last summer and I have to say that pickles pub on a Saturday night was pretty good stuff. Almost died in the heat sitting behind homeplate for the Sunday game though.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Sorry about the Orioles, but at least Camden Yards is gorgeous.

• fellspointbird - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:13 AM

@Bmore- Y U NO GO TO OPENING DAY

@King- Man, you missed out on the good bars! Next time you’re down here, try Pub Dog in Federal Hill- fresh microbrews & amazing/unique pizza. You should also check out Powerplant, Sláintè in Fells Point, and anywhere on the square in Canton #favorites

Btw, drinking in the Cien Tower is both expensive and scary.

• bmorelikeme - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:39 AM

@ fellspoint I wish I was there, instead I’m listening to Joe Angel at the office

• sobuck - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Hey guys, be sure to check out the band Fiction20Down by the main entry gate outside of the museum. They will not dissapoint!

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM

I go to Wrigley to see games. I hear ya.

• kjuggs - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I saw the Phils there last July and it maybe just cause it was in the middle of that heatwave, but it was miserable. I guess I’ve been spoiled by the amenities of practically every other ballpark in baseball over the last 20 years. Cubs fans were great, though (same with fans in STL, KC, HOU, and other towns I’ve seen the Phils). Growing up in Philly and going to countless Phils/Mets games at the Vet has made me paranoid that my family and I are going to get targeted.

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM

With two hats ($68), a program/yearbook combo ($15), and one bratwurst ($6!!!) purchased

Wait a minute here. He’s shocked about the $6 bratwurst and not the hats that cost $31 each? Granted the last two hats I’ve bought (not counting the KC Monarchs NLBM one) have been for golf purposes (stupid bald head), they weren’t for thirty one freaking dollars. Sheesh…

• kjuggs - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Yep…they cost about that much. Even at the kiosks in your local mall. My question is: did he really buy the hat for his boss’s friend? I saw him complaining about prices, but didn’t notice.

• sportsdrenched.com - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I have this stange obession with hats. My brother has called me a Hat Snob. I’ll own it. $31 for a fitted MLB hat is about market. That’s what I paid for my latest Royals hat, and that was at Memoribilia Store.

I think I paid $27 for my fitted Omaha Storm Chasers hat.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Holy crap! $6 for a brat was pretty standard outside fenway 5-6 years ago so I wasn’t shocked about that. But $31 for hat, my god.

• kopy - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Once the massive, flat-brimmed hat trend became popular in hip-hop circles about 6-8(?) years ago the prices of hats started disproportionally increasing all around. It sucks

Baseball hats: not just for baseball fans anymore.

4. Lukehart80 - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I was at the Bulls game last night, and it was clear that Bill Murray was not the only fan in attendance who’d made a doubleheader of the day by going to the opener at Wrigley in the afternoon before heading to the United Center. There were people staggering around the place in Cubs gear, one of whom threw-up in his seat about five rows in front of me, much to the disgust of his neighbors. I saw at least a few others who were passed out in their seats by the second half. Good times!

5. paperlions - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Damn, Brandon Inge sounds like the Tiger’s version of David Eckstein. Cardinal fans loved that guy and were very upset when his replacement level butt was not re-signed.

6. dohpey28 - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM

Always nice to hear complaint after complaint from someone who got to go somewhere for free. Love it.

7. kjuggs - Apr 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Reading that blogger/writer’s piece, I could only think of the saying “I lamented that I had no shoes, until I saw a man with no feet.” It seemed pretty obvious to me that he knew that he didn’t really want to go, went anyway, and sulked, bitched, and whined about it the entire time like my 10 year old daughter. He must have been a blast to go with. Stay home instead and give the ticket (you got for free) to a kid or fan who would love to go.

8. mattjg - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Uh-oh, is this one of those things where if you can’t spot the asshole in your section by the third inning, it’s probably you?

I had a great time at PNC Park yesterday. I was one of a handful of Phillies fans at the ballgame and I didn’t see objectionable behavior from fans of either side. I did have a few beers before the game though . . . .

9. prospero63 - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yeah Craig, it must really suck being out there with the great unwashed masses. Interacting with all those uneducated peons must be hard on you.

10. sportsdrenched.com - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

For some reason I can’t read the blog post. But I’ll comment on Craig’s comments.

I get it, Opening Day in Kansas City is where people go to be seen. There’s lots of casual fans, and lots of people who go just because it’s a party. There is something to be said for the random night in June when only the die hards are out at the ballpark.

However, I’ve been to three Opening Day’s at Kauffman. If you’re letting other dis-interested/casual fans ruin your good time….you’re doing it wrong!

11. yankeesfanlen - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Here we are the end of “Opening Day” and no HBT commenters have gotten in a fight yet.

• phillyphreak - Apr 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Wanna make somethin of it…..

12. rcali - Apr 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Opening day is a party and I would suggest those people who are not looking for that atmosphere attend the other games that only draw 20,000.

13. skeleteeth - Apr 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Suburbanites that don’t know how to act amidst crowds of 40,000 people and use downtown as a toilet? What??! Say it isn’t so….

14. jerseypatriot76 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Ugh, another crybaby. I am sick of these people. This guy got to go to a baseball game on a weekday. A miserable experience are the people who work at the park who have to clean all the garbage that people left behind including vomit all for around $10 an hour. No one forced you to buy anything. If being at a beautiful park enjoying the great game of baseball is so painful that you have to write hundreds of words about your struggle you don’t deserve to be at opening day.

There are annoying people at every stadium, every day. You either deal with them or you stay home. If you do not like it, find something else to do with your time or give your tickets to someone who might have enjoyed being at a ballpark on a special day.

15. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 6, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Toronto’s home opener is always embarrassing. It’s not even the severe lack of real baseball fans in the stands that you overhear pretending they know what they’re talking about. It’s the idiots in the outfield who decided throwing the free magnetic schedules or towels or whatever on the field is the best way to entertain themselves all game long. A few years ago they were throwing actual baseballs and the game almost got called. Such a pathetic display.

• jaysprospectarilo - Apr 6, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Dude, I had tickets for Monday nights Jays opener and I sold them. Last time I went was a few years ago when some prick pickled a real baseball from the 500 deck and domed me. I was incensed.
      Im not surprised about the whole party atmosphere – people are excited for the baseball season in Detroit and everyone uses it as a reason to party and rally for the team (much like any Canadian Hockey team losing a Stanley Cup – yes Vancouver Im looking in your direction with disgust) with ridiculously copious amounts of alcohol.
      I am hoping they are making sure that Rogers Centre will be a bit safer this year for the opener. Last year was ok, but the year prior was disgusting.
      As for Comerica, took my daughter to her first game there 2 years back. Prices were FAR AND AWAY cheaper than Rogers Centre, the service by the section attendant was amazing (wiped my seats!!! Asked to take my daughter to the field for 7th inning Stretch!!!), and the people were generally good – one man cussed loudly about Podsednik and I glared at him and he apologized immediately – I told him no worries – Its hard to be aware of minors everywhere. My experience was good, and I will attend a 3 game set in August and see the atmosphere.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3548)