Apr 6, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Tim Stauffer was the Padres’ starter on Opening Day last season and went on to throw 186 innings with a 3.73 ERA overall, but he began this season on the disabled list with a strained right elbow.
Stauffer tested the injury by playing catch earlier this week, but told Corey Brock of MLB.com that “it didn’t feel great” and “it wasn’t where it needs to be.”
Stauffer also estimated that he’s 60-70 percent healthy, so Edinson Volquez took the Opening Day assignment–losing to the Dodgers–and he’ll try to come off the disabled list when eligible on April 19.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17