Apr 6, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
So much for Kyle Farnsworth‘s elbow injury being a minor one.
Yesterday the Rays placed Farnsworth on the disabled list and today manager Joe Maddon told Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that he expects to be without the closer for 4-6 weeks.
No word yet on the fill-in closer, but most of the Rays’ beat writers expect Maddon to use a closer-by-committee approach initially, which means Joel Peralta is seemingly the favorite for saves and Fernando Rodney, J.P. Howell, and perhaps even Wade Davis could get into the ninth-inning mix.
Farnsworth saved 25 games with a 2.18 ERA and 51/12 K/BB ratio in 58 innings last season, but has been dealing with elbow problems since September.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)