Apr 6, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Now that the Royals have officially picked Jonathan Broxton as Joakim Soria‘s replacement nearly every team has named their closer, but one holdout is the guy with the least managing experience in the bunch (which is to say no managing experience).
Robin Ventura played coy with the media yesterday, refusing to disclose his closer while saying that the relievers “will know before the game” and “it’s not like I’m asking them to hit or catch, they’re just going to pitch … I think they’ll be fine.”
Pitching coach Don Cooper also told Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune that they definitely aren’t going with a closer-by-committee approach, saying: “There will be a set closer. Everything is going to be set. Bullpen positions will be set, and guys will know when they are pitching.”
In other words, they’re just keeping it a secret from the media and, by extension, the fans.
So who will actually wind up closing games early on? Matt Thornton, Addison Reed, Jesse Crain, and Hector Santiago are the options, with Thornton having the most ninth-inning experience and Reed having the most long-term upside in the role. Most reporters covering the team seem to think Thornton will start out with the gig, but Ventura’s secrecy about the whole thing might hint at one of the rookies getting the nod.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 121
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 40
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (121)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)