Apr 6, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
This year, the Pirates are all about finishing what they start.
According to The Associated Press, the team ordered dozens of black-and-yellow shirts with the phrase “finish” to remind the Pirates about the importance of mental toughness.
The Pirates, of course, had a pretty nice first half last year before fading fast and finishing 72-90. They were 51-44 through 95 games and 21-46 the rest of the way.
The article continues:
[Manager Clint] Hurdle believes the team will be focused following the lessons of August and September. The addition of veterans Rod Barajas, Clint Barmes and Casey McGehee – all veterans of postseason play – should give the young clubhouse a calming presence.
Those veterans of postseason play have combined to go all of 4-for-28 in October. Barmes has half of those at-bats and went hitless in all 14. Barajas’ last postseason appearance came 10 years ago.
But they will be calming, for sure. Not a one of them ever figures to be responsible for A.J. Burnett whipping up a shaving cream pie this year.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)