Apr 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
I thought the picture of Magic Johnson sitting next to Frank McCourt at yesterday’s Dodgers-Padres game was kind of funny in a study-in-contrasts kind of way. But apparently it was more than that. At least to T.J. Simers who believes that it was a legitimate P.R. disaster:
Why would the best thing that has happened to the Dodgers in recent years allow himself to be photographed sitting next to the worst thing that has happened to the Dodgers? … Who is advising Magic? It can’t be a close friend or anyone interested in preserving Magic’s reputation, because they would tell him the last place he should be seen these days is sitting beside McCourt.
I looked high and low in the article for telltale signs of Simers’ trademark tongue-in-cheek thing, but could find no evidence that he was anything but serious here. He seems to legitimately believe that it’s insane that the buyer and seller of a big asset are seen together in between the time the bid was accepted and the deal closed.
You’re right. T.J. Magic and McCourt should be like a bride and groom on their wedding day and not set eyes on one another lest all The Bad Things happen.
In other news, the O.C. Register has scores of people covering today’s Angels opener. Despite all of that editorial competition, I bet none of those guys have any trouble finding something to write about that is more of a legitimate thing than what Simers is all animated about here.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)