Apr 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
I thought the picture of Magic Johnson sitting next to Frank McCourt at yesterday’s Dodgers-Padres game was kind of funny in a study-in-contrasts kind of way. But apparently it was more than that. At least to T.J. Simers who believes that it was a legitimate P.R. disaster:
Why would the best thing that has happened to the Dodgers in recent years allow himself to be photographed sitting next to the worst thing that has happened to the Dodgers? … Who is advising Magic? It can’t be a close friend or anyone interested in preserving Magic’s reputation, because they would tell him the last place he should be seen these days is sitting beside McCourt.
I looked high and low in the article for telltale signs of Simers’ trademark tongue-in-cheek thing, but could find no evidence that he was anything but serious here. He seems to legitimately believe that it’s insane that the buyer and seller of a big asset are seen together in between the time the bid was accepted and the deal closed.
You’re right. T.J. Magic and McCourt should be like a bride and groom on their wedding day and not set eyes on one another lest all The Bad Things happen.
In other news, the O.C. Register has scores of people covering today’s Angels opener. Despite all of that editorial competition, I bet none of those guys have any trouble finding something to write about that is more of a legitimate thing than what Simers is all animated about here.
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)