49-year-old Jamie Moyer could make history tonight

Apr 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Jamie Moyer

Jamie Moyer was one of the better stories of the spring, successfully securing a spot in the Rockies’ rotation at the age of 49 after missing the entire 2011 season following Tommy John surgery. And he has a chance to make a little history in his first start tonight against the Astros.

Moyer, who is 49 years and 141 days old, could become the oldest pitcher to ever win a major league game. Jack Quinn, the current record holder, was 49 years and 70 days old when he won for the Brooklyn Dodgers on September 13, 1932.

While Moyer understands his place in history, he told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that his comeback is more about showing that he still deserves a spot on a major league roster.

“It’s special to have this opportunity. Maybe when my career is over, I will think about it more. But I didn’t come back for one game,” Moyer said. “I want to make a contribution to this team all season, helping guys as much as they help me.”

Moyer, a former sixth-round pick of the Cubs in 1984, owns a 4.24 career ERA and 267 lifetime wins over 24 major league seasons.

1. Old Gator - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

It was a strange spring where Moyer was concerned – fine fit young men collapsing into heaps of detritus with torn ligaments, hyperextended cartilage, broken fingers, strained obliques and sprained this or that, ulnar collateral ligaments popping like overwound rubberbands on those old wind-up-propeller balsa airplanes, all waiting for the team frontloader to come pick them up and cart them to the disabled list, while this magnificent old throwback just kept chugging along and made his way onto the Rocky Mountain Oysters’ rotation.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see his autobiography titled The Hunger, Part II.

• addictedzone - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I thought it would be titled…
      “If Only” (I could pitch on the road at SunLife my whole career)

Some quick analysis…he would currently have a career record of 502 wins and nipping at the heels Denton True Young.

2. cltjump - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:09 PM

I love this guy!!!

3. braddavery - Apr 7, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Good luck, Jamie! Fingers crossed for win #300!

• addictedzone - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM

You really think he’ll be pitching when he’s 52?

• braddavery - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:25 PM

No. But it would be pretty amazing if he could.

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Did you think he’d be pitching at 49?

• addictedzone - Apr 7, 2012 at 6:45 PM

No I didn’t think he’d be pitching at 49. I don’t think he’ll be pitching at the end of the season either.

4. seanb20124 - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Freak of nature

5. genericcommenter - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:30 PM

He will probably pass the win totals of much better pitchers soon. I hope people ( and especially HOF voters) don’t fall in love with his counting stats and devalue the careers of some of his better peers. Not that they haven’t before in stuff like Cy Young voting.

That said, I was a big fan of Tommy John when I was a kid. So I’m not opposed to being in love with old soft-tossers piing up the Wins.

• addictedzone - Apr 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Soft tosser = junkballer which would work much better at sea level than it will at Coors. It’s a little like putting a manager that loves to bunt in charge of the Rockies and expecting success. Yes I’m thinking of you Jim Leyland.

Moyer in Coors will likely be a fish out of water. Lucky for him tonight he’s at Minute Maid where he’s 4-2.

6. losangelasbasketball - Apr 7, 2012 at 5:11 PM

cans of “ensure” he’s been given overall:
    over/under 7 cans

7. sasquash20 - Apr 7, 2012 at 9:28 PM

Moyer is a class act. I still have visions about when he riped the mound out of the ground when the Phillies won in 2008. Good dude, one who is easy to root for.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5074)