Apr 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Jamie Moyer was one of the better stories of the spring, successfully securing a spot in the Rockies’ rotation at the age of 49 after missing the entire 2011 season following Tommy John surgery. And he has a chance to make a little history in his first start tonight against the Astros.
Moyer, who is 49 years and 141 days old, could become the oldest pitcher to ever win a major league game. Jack Quinn, the current record holder, was 49 years and 70 days old when he won for the Brooklyn Dodgers on September 13, 1932.
While Moyer understands his place in history, he told Troy Renck of the Denver Post that his comeback is more about showing that he still deserves a spot on a major league roster.
“It’s special to have this opportunity. Maybe when my career is over, I will think about it more. But I didn’t come back for one game,” Moyer said. “I want to make a contribution to this team all season, helping guys as much as they help me.”
Moyer, a former sixth-round pick of the Cubs in 1984, owns a 4.24 career ERA and 267 lifetime wins over 24 major league seasons.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro provides the visual evidence …
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
From the official Twitter account of the Los Angeles Dodgers …
Mar 1, 2015, 10:33 AM EST
Minoso, a native of Cuba, batted .298/.389/.459 with 1,963 hits, 186 home runs, and 1,023 RBI in parts of 17 major league seasons split between the Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, and Washington Senators.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Some highlights here from Rob Manfred’s sit-down Saturday at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference …
Feb 28, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
The Padres signed outfielder Tyson Gillies to a minor league deal, perhaps hopeful he could turn his fortunes around with a new organization.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
The Diamondbacks want Yasmany Tomas to get as many at-bats as possible during spring training, so he’ll be starting at both third base and in the outfield.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:35 PM EST
It’s odd to hear Jimmy Rollins say nice things about the Mets.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:27 PM EST
The Blue Jays brought in Dayan Viciedo to hold the fort until Michael Saunders returns from his knee injury.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:25 PM EST
Ruben Tejada has been something of a lightning rod, and he recently received criticism from a former teammate and mentor.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:20 PM EST
Josh Hamilton’s punishment for using a drug of abuse may end up not being much of a punishment at all.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EST
Athletics outfielder Coco Crisp missed more than a week down the stretch in 2012 due to pinkeye and now he’s dealing with it again.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:19 PM EST
After trading the likes of Justin Upton, Jason Heyward, and Evan Gattis as well as adding a handful of veteran free agents, the Braves have a ton of new faces in camp this spring.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Marlins slugger Giancarlo Stanton had his season come to an end in horrific fashion last September when he suffered facial fractures and dental damage on a hit-by-pitch.
Feb 28, 2015, 2:18 PM EST
Juan Pierre showed his sense of humor on Twitter after announcing his retirement from baseball.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:31 PM EST
I guarantee you’ll learn something.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EST
Sale suffered the injury unloading something off the back of his truck on Friday.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:10 PM EST
Chase Headley is expected to be the team’s regular third baseman this season, so Yankees manager Joe Girardi wants if Rodriguez can be a potential backup to Mark Teixeira.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:05 AM EST
That’s a new one.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:02 AM EST
Hill, who turns 35 next month, bounced around three different organizations last year and mostly pitched in the minors.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:57 AM EST
It will be his first game action since last July 31.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)