Apr 7, 2012, 9:18 PM EST
Ryan missed time near the end of the 2011 season with neck issues and suffered a pinched nerve this spring, but Mariners skipper Eric Wedge assured reporters that this recent bout of discomfort is not related.
“He just slept wrong,” Wedge said about an hour before first pitch. “With an off-day tomorrow, I don’t want to push it. I don’t want one day to turn into a week or 3-4 days, so it’s my call on that one.”
Ryan’s absence clears the way for Japanese infielder Munenori Kawasaki to make his major league debut.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 24
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 51
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)