Apr 7, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
We saw Buster Posey play all spring, but last night was his first official major league game since he suffered a broken leg and torn ankle ligaments in a home-plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins last May 25.
Posey told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he “felt normal,” even though the season opener didn’t go exactly as he would have hoped.
Posey made a key error in the bottom of the sixth inning, bobbling a tapper out in front of the plate which allowed Jason Kubel to reach first base. The next batter, Ryan Roberts, then hit a two-run double to put the Diamondbacks in front. Posey had a chance to redeem himself in the top of the ninth with the tying run on second and two outs, but closer J.J. Putz was able to get him to ground out to shortstop to end it.
It wasn’t all bad news for Posey, though. He went 2-for-4 with two singles and a walk and now owns a 14-game hitting streak dating back to last year. That’s the longest active hitting streak in MLB if you don’t count Magglio Ordonez (18-game hitting streak), who is unsigned and appears headed for retirement.
The current plan calls for Posey to catch each of the Giants’ next two games before potentially getting a start at first base on Monday against the Rockies.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 32
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 50
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)