Apr 7, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT
We saw Buster Posey play all spring, but last night was his first official major league game since he suffered a broken leg and torn ankle ligaments in a home-plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins last May 25.
Posey told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he “felt normal,” even though the season opener didn’t go exactly as he would have hoped.
Posey made a key error in the bottom of the sixth inning, bobbling a tapper out in front of the plate which allowed Jason Kubel to reach first base. The next batter, Ryan Roberts, then hit a two-run double to put the Diamondbacks in front. Posey had a chance to redeem himself in the top of the ninth with the tying run on second and two outs, but closer J.J. Putz was able to get him to ground out to shortstop to end it.
It wasn’t all bad news for Posey, though. He went 2-for-4 with two singles and a walk and now owns a 14-game hitting streak dating back to last year. That’s the longest active hitting streak in MLB if you don’t count Magglio Ordonez (18-game hitting streak), who is unsigned and appears headed for retirement.
The current plan calls for Posey to catch each of the Giants’ next two games before potentially getting a start at first base on Monday against the Rockies.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (141)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)