Apr 7, 2012, 10:16 AM EST
We saw Buster Posey play all spring, but last night was his first official major league game since he suffered a broken leg and torn ankle ligaments in a home-plate collision with Marlins’ outfielder Scott Cousins last May 25.
Posey told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that he “felt normal,” even though the season opener didn’t go exactly as he would have hoped.
Posey made a key error in the bottom of the sixth inning, bobbling a tapper out in front of the plate which allowed Jason Kubel to reach first base. The next batter, Ryan Roberts, then hit a two-run double to put the Diamondbacks in front. Posey had a chance to redeem himself in the top of the ninth with the tying run on second and two outs, but closer J.J. Putz was able to get him to ground out to shortstop to end it.
It wasn’t all bad news for Posey, though. He went 2-for-4 with two singles and a walk and now owns a 14-game hitting streak dating back to last year. That’s the longest active hitting streak in MLB if you don’t count Magglio Ordonez (18-game hitting streak), who is unsigned and appears headed for retirement.
The current plan calls for Posey to catch each of the Giants’ next two games before potentially getting a start at first base on Monday against the Rockies.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)