Apr 7, 2012, 8:03 PM EST
The Tigers torched the Red Sox for 12 hits Saturday in a dominant 10-0 victory. But it wasn’t all roses and pom-poms at Detroit’s Comerica Park.
As noted by Tom Gage of the Detroit News, Tigers starter Doug Fister was lifted in the top of the fourth inning after feeling a tug on the left side of his body while making a pitch to Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Fister was later diagnosed with a left side strain and will be further evaluated Sunday.
The 28-year-old right-hander had thrown 3 2/3 scoreless innings. If he’s forced to the 15-day disabled list, the Tigers could give left-hander Duane Below a shot at some spot starts. He was, after all, stretched out this spring.
Fister posted a 2.83 ERA and 146/37 K/BB ratio in 32 outings last year between the Tigers and Mariners.
UPDATE, 8:04 PM: Fister has been placed on the disabled list with a left costochondral strain, according to MLB.com beat writer Jason Beck. And reliever Brayan Villarreal has been recalled from Triple-A Toledo.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)