Apr 7, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
In the Cubs’ first game Thursday, Kerry Wood took a blown save in the eighth and Carlos Marmol got the loss in the ninth. In the second game Saturday, Wood took the loss in the eighth and Marmol got tagged with a blown save in the same inning.
Wood got the call to start the eighth with the Cubs up 4-2 and allowed a solo homer and two singles after starting the inning with two quick outs. That resulted in Marmol’s appearance with the tying run on second. Marmol walked the first batter he faced, allowed back-to-back hits and then walked one more guy before getting pulled. Shawn Camp allowed an infield single afterwards, giving the Nationals a five-run eighth in what turned out to be a 7-4 victory.
Wood and Marmol are now both sporting identical 27.00 ERAs and 6.00 WHIPs after two appearances. Marmol has given up four hits in his inning of work. In Sept./Oct. 2010, he pitched 15 2/3 innings and allowed just two hits.
The Cubs lack any other reliable relievers, so they’ll just have to hope Wood and Marmol work through their troubles. Pulling Marmol for the closer’s role temporarily is an option, but since Wood is in no position to claim the job, they’d probably have to mix-and-match James Russell and Rafael Dolis in the ninth if they go that route.
The Cubs had to figure going into the season that the bullpen was going to be a problem. Still, they were likely more confident about the eighth inning and Wood than they were about any other portion of it. Now they’ve already blown two leads in that inning, erasing quality performances from Ryan Dempster and Matt Garza in the process.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)