Apr 7, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
Yeah, this Mark Trumbo-to-third base thing? Might not work out.
Bold statement I know, but Trumbo had a pretty rough go of things in the Angels’ season opener last night against the Royals, committing two fielding errors in his new stomping grounds.
The first was on a throw which pulled Albert Pujols off the bag in the second inning while the second error occurred when Trumbo over-ran a pop-up in foul territory in the seventh. Fortunately for the Angels, ace right-hander Jered Weaver was able to make it through both innings unscathed.
Albert Pujols is firmly entrenched at first base and Kendrys Morales should DH most days now that he’s healthy, so the Angels want to find a way to get Trumbo into the lineup on a semi-regular basis. However, they can’t afford to keep giving up outs like this. They probably won’t pull the plug yet, but the odds were always against this experiment being a success.
- Miguel Cabrera ties Hank Greenberg with 331st career homer 4
- Bud Selig’s view on replay has “evolved” 13
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 9
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 5
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 2
- PBT: Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot
- Ferguson's managerial career ends with 5-5 draw
- Moore stays unbeaten as Rays top Orioles