Apr 7, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
Yeah, this Mark Trumbo-to-third base thing? Might not work out.
Bold statement I know, but Trumbo had a pretty rough go of things in the Angels’ season opener last night against the Royals, committing two fielding errors in his new stomping grounds.
The first was on a throw which pulled Albert Pujols off the bag in the second inning while the second error occurred when Trumbo over-ran a pop-up in foul territory in the seventh. Fortunately for the Angels, ace right-hander Jered Weaver was able to make it through both innings unscathed.
Albert Pujols is firmly entrenched at first base and Kendrys Morales should DH most days now that he’s healthy, so the Angels want to find a way to get Trumbo into the lineup on a semi-regular basis. However, they can’t afford to keep giving up outs like this. They probably won’t pull the plug yet, but the odds were always against this experiment being a success.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)