Apr 7, 2012, 9:07 AM EST
Yeah, this Mark Trumbo-to-third base thing? Might not work out.
Bold statement I know, but Trumbo had a pretty rough go of things in the Angels’ season opener last night against the Royals, committing two fielding errors in his new stomping grounds.
The first was on a throw which pulled Albert Pujols off the bag in the second inning while the second error occurred when Trumbo over-ran a pop-up in foul territory in the seventh. Fortunately for the Angels, ace right-hander Jered Weaver was able to make it through both innings unscathed.
Albert Pujols is firmly entrenched at first base and Kendrys Morales should DH most days now that he’s healthy, so the Angels want to find a way to get Trumbo into the lineup on a semi-regular basis. However, they can’t afford to keep giving up outs like this. They probably won’t pull the plug yet, but the odds were always against this experiment being a success.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 23
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)