Apr 7, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
Yeah, this Mark Trumbo-to-third base thing? Might not work out.
Bold statement I know, but Trumbo had a pretty rough go of things in the Angels’ season opener last night against the Royals, committing two fielding errors in his new stomping grounds.
The first was on a throw which pulled Albert Pujols off the bag in the second inning while the second error occurred when Trumbo over-ran a pop-up in foul territory in the seventh. Fortunately for the Angels, ace right-hander Jered Weaver was able to make it through both innings unscathed.
Albert Pujols is firmly entrenched at first base and Kendrys Morales should DH most days now that he’s healthy, so the Angels want to find a way to get Trumbo into the lineup on a semi-regular basis. However, they can’t afford to keep giving up outs like this. They probably won’t pull the plug yet, but the odds were always against this experiment being a success.
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 26
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 13
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 65
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)