Apr 7, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
Yeah, this Mark Trumbo-to-third base thing? Might not work out.
Bold statement I know, but Trumbo had a pretty rough go of things in the Angels’ season opener last night against the Royals, committing two fielding errors in his new stomping grounds.
The first was on a throw which pulled Albert Pujols off the bag in the second inning while the second error occurred when Trumbo over-ran a pop-up in foul territory in the seventh. Fortunately for the Angels, ace right-hander Jered Weaver was able to make it through both innings unscathed.
Albert Pujols is firmly entrenched at first base and Kendrys Morales should DH most days now that he’s healthy, so the Angels want to find a way to get Trumbo into the lineup on a semi-regular basis. However, they can’t afford to keep giving up outs like this. They probably won’t pull the plug yet, but the odds were always against this experiment being a success.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)