Apr 7, 2012, 9:40 AM EDT
Morse, who is recovering from a right lat muscle strain, went 2-for-3 with a double and a home run as the designated hitter. Ankiel, who is coming back from a quad injury, went 1-for-3 with a home run while playing center field. Morse is eligible to come off the disabled list Tuesday against the Mets while Ankiel could return as soon as next Friday against the Reds.
Morse is obviously of more importance here, as he has quietly been the most potent bat in the Nationals’ lineup for the past two seasons. It’s hard to imagine Davey Johnson’s squad making a serious run at the playoffs if he isn’t healthy.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 13
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 51
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 45
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)