Ozzie Guillen apologizes for “I love Castro” comment

Apr 7, 2012, 10:29 PM EDT

St Louis Cardinals v Miami Marlins Getty Images

Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen is quoted in a recent issue of Time magazine as saying that he has “love” for Cuban dictator Fidel Castro and respects that he’s been able to maintain power for so long.

Those thoughts obviously aren’t sitting well in Miami — a city with many Cuban descendants — and so a cleanup campaign has been put in motion.

Guillen held a closed-door meeting with beat writers on Saturday night, according to the Associated Press, and offered this: “I will apologize if I hurt somebody’s feelings, or I hurt somebody’s thought. I want them to know I’m against everything 100 percent – I repeat it again – the way this man (been) treating people for the last 60 years.”

The Marlins, meanwhile, have issued a statement: “There is nothing to respect about Fidel Castro. He is a brutal dictator who has caused unthinkable pain for more than 50 years. We live in a community filled with victims of this dictatorship, and the people in Cuba continue to suffer today.”

However Ozzie’s original comments to Time magazine came about, he clearly doesn’t stand behind them. And this certainly isn’t the first time Guillen has had a scatter-brained opinion about something.

But you have to wonder how this all is affecting the way Guillen is being viewed in south Florida. The team that employs him, after all, just opened a new ballpark in a neighborhood called “Little Havana.”

1. sledgehorn - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM

In other news, he is absolutely not pulling back on his “I like to get drunk on road trips” comments, because that is 100% the truth and everyone knows it.

• florida727 - Apr 8, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Hate to say it, but it’s true, if Ozzie weren’t a minority, he’d be out of a job. Best of all, he knows it. This guy’s been given so much rope, not only could he hang himself, but everyone on death row in the state of Florida. When is someone finally going to have the balls to sh*tcan this idiot? He’s not “that” good a manager either.

• jlove42 - Apr 9, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Oh come on! He kept a job with the White Sox for longer than he should have because he was still riding the coattails of the 2005 WS Championship. I agree with you that he kind of blows as a manager, but Reinsdorf kept him around for so long because he was a frickin championship, not because he’s Venezuelan

2. Ben - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I literally laughed out loud when I read the headline. Ozzie is so tone-deaf that it’s just funny at this point.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Ah well, too late for apologies. Now it’s gone feral. One of those late Cretaceous hardline right wing Cuban-American stationary biker gangs has been sharpening their fangs with a pool cue for the hapless Slobbering Ozzie, and plan to march…er…drive, I mean, on Macondo Banana Massacre field on Wednesday boycott the Feesh until he is fired or quits:

Knowing how these people drive in general, Slobbering Ozzie and the rest of us have much to fear. I plan to stay off the roads on Wednesday. We all knew the dimwitted loudmouthed blowhard would self-destruct eventually, but boy, he really sabotaged himself in record time, didn’t he?

If I were a bottle of Pepto-Bismol, I sure wouldn’t want to be sitting in Scrooge McLoria’s medicine cabinet right now.

• bufordmaddogtannen - Apr 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM

“These people”? Geez, are you sure you shouldn’t be on the Fox News comment boards buddy?

3. vols84 - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:44 PM

So, I am confused. What did Ozzie love about Castro, if he didn’t like the way he treats his own people? I thought Fidel’s brother was running the show down there now.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Raoul Castro is in charge. Fidel is essentially a figurehead now.

But what is this? 1962? We’re STILL making Castro in a bogeyman? What next? John Birch Society protests?

• Ben - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:02 PM

No kidding. The bipartisan fetish for deferring to the Cuban community in Miami has led to decades of incredibly bad foreign policy.

• hittfamily - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

The John Birch Society changed it’s name to the Tea Party shortly after a black man became president.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Very true, hittfamily. Spot-on.

• metalhead65 - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM

spoken like a true hugging libertard hittfamily.

• Ben - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM

I sort of am starting to get why punks hate metalheads. I always sort of liked metal as music, but never paid any attention to the scene, or metalheads; I have a bit more lately, and man, what a bunch of homophobic, narrow-minded cretins.
        Except for guys like Wolves in the Throne Room, they seem to have some idea of what’s what.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:13 AM

There’s no reason to stereotype metalheads, Ben. I’m a metalhead (see screen name – Iron Maiden) and a staunch liberal.

True, there ARE plenty of knuckle-dragging, reactionary dirtbag metalheads out there (just go to a club show), but that holds true for EVERY group

• crisisofinfinitephils - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Gotta love the moral equivalency on this board. Castro is to be respected but the tea party and conservatives are ruining this country. Last I checked nobody’s floating on a raft to leave here cuz of the tea party. Or to put it in MLB terms, Prince Fielder ain’t defecting to Cuba.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Metalhead…where was the Tea Party during Bush’s Presidency, Reagan’s, for that matter?

The currently national debt can be directly traced to many of the policies signed into law by both Presidents, but there was nary a peep from you people during the Bush years.

It’s all about tribalism with you people. He’s got an (R) next to his name, so he can do no wrong.

In other words: IOIYAR (it’s okay, if you’re a Republican).

I’m all ears if you have a coherent explanation for why the Tea Party was astroturfed into existence nearly overnight by right-wing business interests the very nanosecond that Obama placed his hand on the Bible.

All that I’ve seen is a group of rubes in a perpetual state of frenzied, frothing, seething, unhinged, berserker hatred for a President who’s:

(a) NOT a Socialist (most Tea Party-types can’t even defend the word; what a ridiculous claim to make),
        (b) not even a liberal (I’M a liberal, and Obama certainly isn’t),
        (c) but rather, a man who sits comfortably in the Rockefeller Republican part of the political spectrum, going by historical standards.

• jwbiii - Apr 8, 2012 at 5:19 AM

“The bipartisan fetish for deferring to the Cuban community in Miami has led to decades of incredibly bad foreign policy.”

Let’s not forget the sugar and corn (high fructose corn syrup) lobbies.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Speaking of Passover, it was the sugar industry that brought this plague of giant toads upon us! On a rainy spring night, millions and millions of males are outside croaking their little hearts out and wheezing audibly in the throes of amplexus. Worse than trying to sleep through a made for TV Skinimax movie soundtrack. It can cause REM deprivation.

To hell with Big Sugar. I’ve got type II diabetes anyway.

4. shanabartels - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Never change, Ozzie.

5. roseann894 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM

What a sorry sellout. Too bad he doesn’t have the cojones to say what MOST citizens of our southern neighbors believe, i.e. Castro and Chavez have on balance done far more good than ill, not the least of which is standing up to the imperialist designs of the US.

• profootballwalk - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Good to hear from a hate-America, Obama voter.

• roseann894 - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I hate America AND Obama.

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Spoken like a true fan of human cockfighting. Go back to Florio.

• Reflex - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:00 AM

What about those of us who love America and vote for Obama?

• sasquash20 - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:08 AM

I love Obama and I love America. Because someone doesn’t share your views they hate America? That is about the most narrow minded view ever. Keep voting Republican so we can do away with the middle class right. Some how I bet your middle class or lower class. Let us keep letting the rich get richer by exploiting tax loop holes. Hey the rich create jobs with the tax loop holes right? Yes but they are minimum pay get no where in life jobs. I don’t know I kind of think Obama has the right idea. Help send people to college so they can get a descent job and then they will actually pay back their grants and then some on the extra money they will make because they got an education. If you make more money then you pay more taxes. Its pretty simple. The health care plan may be shot down but I kind of like the idea of the poor and the sick getting health care. Your judged in life by how you treat the young, poor, sick, and elderly. Most of us fall into a couple of those areas at some point in life. Oh crap I spent to much time posting I have to go hug a tree and save a whale.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:27 AM

What a bunch of unhinged, straw-man bullshit.

I’m a staunch liberal and I love this country. It’s worth fighting for.

If liberals DIDN’T love America, we would simply let you right-wingers go about the task of destroying this country and setting us on a regressive, plutocratic, Christianist fascistic course that would make the 1890s look like the 1940s.

I realize that nothing I say will compute with you because you’ve been systematically brainwashed by the right-wing noise over the past decades to literally start foaming at the mouth once you even hear the word “liberal”, Pavlov’s dog-style.

• crisisofinfinitephils - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM

@sasquashman
        Well I guess love is blind, right? How can one say that Obama is for the middle class when energy and unemployment have gone up while the value of homes, the one middle class asset, continues to plummet? And don’t tell me it’s the republicans fault, cuz he had two years of executive power and pissed it away on obamacare. And during that time he told us again and again he was going to ‘pivot’ and jobs and unemployment rose. Also you do realize that revenues fall when taxes are raised right?

• Ben - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Crisis, when you can’t get health insurance because of a pre-existing condition, you’d better not bitch about it.
        Free market baby, yeah!

• sasquash20 - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:08 AM

@crisisofinfinitephils
        Housing cost plummeted because the Fed lowered interest rates way to much and encouraged banks to give out way to much money to people who were and aren’t qualified. The Fed chairman was appointed by Bush by the way. Also Obama would have gotten way more accomplished if the republicans wouldn’t filibuster every other item that comes by for a vote. The filibuster was put in place for extreme circumstances, not everything that democrats try and pass.

I will say this, the bank bail out was flawed when it wasn’t regulated. Bonuses shouldn’t have been paid, ect. The auto bailout has created tens of thousands of jobs and by most accounts has been a success. Not everything Obama and the democrats did worked perfect. No one person or party is perfect. I’m also not totally saying Obama care is the way to go. But we have far to many people who can’t afford health care, and I feel that we need to do something about that. I like the idea of poor, sick, or elderly people having a chance to go to a doctor and not get raped in the wallet in the process. To many people have been just getting by or going belly up the last decade. Not the last 2 years or 4 years, this has been going on for much longer.

As a typical republican you blame Obama for everything. Nothing gets fixed over night, and not by one person. Close the loop holes so that the super wealthy (i.e. Romney and other elitist) don’t snake their way out of paying the other 22 percent of their income taxes. The gap between the super wealthy and the poor multiplied many times under Bush due to his tax breaks. The Wealthy should pay the same percentage as the middle class and the poor (you know the other 99 percent of the country). If the wealthy didn’t get breaks from their buddies the republicans we would be in a much better state then we are now.

One more thing, how do jobs and unemployment rise at the same time?

• crisisofinfinitephils - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Because it was a typo sasquash. It should have said ‘on’ and not ‘and’.You are also completely wrong on housing. There was was a bubble and it did burst. It was also a government edict that everyone should own a home. Bush, Clinton, Dodd, and Frank not to mention Fannie and Freddie are just as culpable as the banks. Now with that said, I bought my home in 09 and i paid more for it than what it’s worth now. So it’s not like housing has stabilized. In fact, housing may very well continue to drop due to a lack of qualified buyers(this is where unemployment comes in) and a large inventory as a result. I also find it funny that I suddenly can’t blame the president for anything when we blamed bush (I wasn’t a fan. Didn’t vote for him.) for everything. He could do things right now to help the economy. He can make it easier for small businesses to do business. I’m too tired to get into it now. But working for a small business, it is really not a friendly environment. He can clear a lot of red tape if he wanted to.

• nworca - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:54 AM

crisis, you are right and wrong both. Yes, there was a bubble in housing prices that burst. But you are wrong in the bigger sense, in that there is the fact that the bubble bursting, in and of itself, would never have caused a global financial collapse. That collapse was caused by what happened with those home loans after issuance. The way they were split, bundled, and sold as triple A investments where no one knew who owned what, and the way those were then used as a form of legal gambling called credit default swaps. That is what caused the global financial collapse.

And, in a way, the Bush tax cuts only to the wealthy contributed, because those provided the extra capital to a group of rich people who had no sense how to invest it in anything productive, and put their money in these real estate scams instead, which created zero jobs.

• florida727 - Apr 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Then “roseann”, if you hate America, why do you live here? We’d gladly have you leave and go to another country of your choosing. We’d even help you pack. Don’t like America? Good, get the F out then.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:29 PM

That’s right! This is a democracy, where we treasure our freedom and right of dissent! If you can’t respect your own right to think exactly the way the rest of us do, get your ass on a bus!

By the way, roseann might actually live somewhere else already – this is the internet, remember?

• kopy - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

The Chairman of the Fed as appointed by both Bushes, and Clinton… and Reagan. Alan Greenspan 1987-2006. He would have done it forever if the recession didn’t get too hot. You can’t blame the Republicans for him.

• cltjump - Apr 8, 2012 at 6:33 PM

aceshigh. If you want someone to respect your opinion, stop trashing theirs. It’s an opinion. I happen to be a conservative, I don’t understand why this debate is being had on a baseball blog. If you idiots feel this strongly about each other, go find some trunks and I’ll rent you a gym.

• crisisofinfinitephils - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Well Ben If that were the case, I’m sure I would have qualified for medicaid. A program that currently exist. As it so happens I do have healthcare, and yes, my rates have skyrocketed thanks to the uncertainty of what will happen once Obamacare is enacted. Also as a resident of NJ, I remember a time when car insurance was astronomical. What happened was we allowed other insurers to compete for business allowing rates to drop. Creating a ‘freer’ market made rates go down. Now if we allow health insures to trade across state lines that would allow health insurance to be more affordable for the individuals or group insured. As it will stand now businesses(especially small businesses) will find it more affordable to pay the fine than insure the employee. And the much lauded model of the single payer system, great Britain, has actually started to privatize their system due to the financial unsustainablity. But whatever. What I just pointed out doesn’t fit nicely on a bumper sticker like what you said.

• sasquash20 - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:24 AM

As a NJ resident I must say our insurance is still pretty high compared to other states. But it is cheaper then it was.

• crisisofinfinitephils - Apr 8, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Right. It still is, but I remember people running for office on the platform of lowering car insurance. And to quote the great(?) joe piscapo ‘you from jersey? I’m from jersey’

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Infinite Phils: I am right there with you. The problem you are running into (in my opinion) is more a problem of demographics. The John Stewart/Bill Maher Comedy Central mentality.
        If you are a conservative right leaning voter you are White, rich, prejudiced, racist and 50+.
        Well…I am White. I will give them that. Not even close with any of the others.
        Your small business references are 100% accurate. As a small business owner I am living it everyday. One of the most unfortunate things (in my opinion)…is the John Stewart/Bill Maher Comedy Central crowd have no idea of the administrations affect on small businesses. Even worse…they seem to have no idea where most of our jobs come from.

• irishjackmp - Apr 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Ah yes, Castro has done so much more good than harm for his people. I suppose that’s why he keeps getting re-elected…

(cue sarcasm)

6. ndnut - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:22 PM

I miss having Ozzie in my team’s division (Go Twinkies!). It was fun to hear the idiotic things he said. “They are like Pirantas!” (Yes, he put that “t” in there, that’s what made it funny!)

• cur68 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Was he talking about the Twins, ’cause he might have been saying “piñatas”?

• wlschneider09 - Apr 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Ouch. Hit us again Cur, hit us again…

• cur68 - Apr 9, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Sorry, man. I saw the shot, I had to take it.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Sublime, cur. Caress our ironic sensibilities again.

• cur68 - Apr 9, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I’m nearly ashamed: picking on the Twins like that…still, zing, eh?

7. pkswally024 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:36 PM

2 games in. 2 headlines.

8. randygnyc - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:41 PM

So many anti-American comments here. Disgusting.

Anyway, this was about the worst thing Ozzie could have said. The Marlins have been going to the hilt courting Hispanic/Cuban support. We’ll see how soon they’ll forgive/forget. I’ll bet NEVER.

• Ben - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Pssh, this is a leftist commentariat. Love it or leave it.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Ben, ignore the thumbs. Irony is often wasted here, as it generally is everywhere else in American politics. You need to be a European at heart – or at the very least, a Latin American magic realist – to stand it at all.

• Ben - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Thanks Gator. I feel all warm and fuzzy now.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Do you really think these are a bunch of flag burners? You know the reason why Cons get no respect, right? It’s because they’re a bunch of narcissistic assholes.

No, that wasn’t a riddle or a snarky getup for a punchline. I have never, ever heard of a Con willing to compromise in order to try to make life better for others.

Castro pretty much has blood on his hands. It’s laughable for you to imply that America is as pure as a virgin on her wedding day.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM

There I go again. Shooting from the hip. Nixon was more liberal than Obama. In terms of labor law and government oversight. Go ahead. Look it up.

Sure. I hate America. Because you say so.

• Ben - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Gah, I don’t want to agree with Koufax, but it’s true.

Richard Nixon would be drummed out of the modern Democratic party as a dirty commie for being too liberal. Look it up–Nixon wanted a guaranteed minimum national income. Not wage, INCOME. The Dems held out for more, Watergate blew up, and that was that.

EPA? Nixon too. I could go on.

I’d also go so far as to argue on a lot of issues Reagan was more liberal than Obama. Who granted amnesty to illegal immigrants? Reagan. Who raised taxes time and time again during his administration? Reagan. Does the Republican Party mention that Reagan? Not if they can avoid it.

Man, I’ve just depressed myself writing that all out.

• Ben - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

One more, just because it illustrates my point–Nixon WENT TO CHINA. Think about that in the context of the Cold War.
        Not so long ago, Nixon had the latitude to go to China, but when President Obama apologizes to Afghanistan for a massacre by an American soldier, he’s castigated as a traitor.

This country has swung so far to the right it’s terrifying.

9. Ben - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Anyway, on the Cuba theme, this Cespedes fella might be the first major leaguer to strike out in 50% of his plate appearances and hit homeruns in the other 50%

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Does the name “Dave Kingman” mean anything to you?

10. eugenesaxe - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Sad attention whore Ozzie is.

11. wurst2first - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Everybody cool out. Ozzie was talking about Fidel’s brother, Dennis Castro.

12. onlyincleveland0316 - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Is Guillen Mexican for Ryan? Brother from a different mother? What an ass!

13. reapecuadorministry - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Guillen has got to be the dumbest person on the planet to pledge love for Fidel (The Devil) Castro just as he starts coaching in the city filled to the brim with Cubans that fled said Devil. Que bruto es!

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Even the Cuban anoles are pissed off.

14. bobhpine - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:34 AM

…and welcome to the first weekend of the Ozzie guillen regime…only slightly dumber than the comments on this msg board

• micker716 - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:41 AM

25 comments in, my first thumbs up.

15. drewsylvania - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Everything about the Marlins–their logo, their butts hanging out of outfits at the opener, their home run “structure, their manager–sucks.

16. Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I always figured the cretinous Slobbering Ozzie would set off a few P/R bouncing bettys, but boy, given his negative comments about Hugo Chavez’ misgovernance of his own native country even I never expected him to say anything quite that stupid. Ozzie just achieved for the Feesh what Abu Ghraib achieved for our war effort in Iraq. Scrooge McLoria must have snarked his Manischewitz pickled grape juice up his nose when his houseboy leaned over and whispered the news in his ear in the middle of his seder. Boy, I bet this is one Passover Scrooge will never forget.

Time to heat up the popcorn. Things are finally going to really interestin’ down here in sunny Macondo. Now, let’s see what Slobbering Ozzie’s genetically deprived spawn begin tweeting in his defense. Connoisseurs of the non sequitur, prepare thyselves!

• crisisofinfinitephils - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Wow. Didn’t think the comments could get anymore ignorant. I was with you with hypocrisy but lost me at the Jewish stereotyping.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Okay, I apologize. Loria was at Easter high mass when he got the news, snarked his communion wine out his nostrils and spat out his matz…sorry, I mean, wafer. How’s that for counter-stereotyping? If it doesn’t work for you, I’m perfectly willing to deny that there’s such a thing as Passover or that Scrooge McLoria has ever attended a seder on the first seder night in his entire life. Everyone on this board knows how scrupulously I avoid controversey.

Now, for those of you who have a life, here’s the latest from Macondo Feesh damage control, courtesy of the Macondo Feeshwrapper:

“A Marlins source confirmed that Guillén said what he is quoted as saying, but expressed doubt that he really meant it, calling the quotes “statements with no literal intention.”

“Frankly, I don’t believe he loves Fidel Castro, though he is in some way surprised by the time he has stayed in power,” the source said.

“In any case,” the source added, “it was badly said. and we hope it’s just an isolated incident.”

And if it’s not?

“May God have mercy on us.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/08/2737123/marlins-manager-ozzie-guillen.html#storylink=cpy

17. 2 Think Good - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

To believe Guillen’s apology / retraction would entail believing that someone would “blurt out” unsolicited opinions on a controversial issue which they did not actually believe to a magazine writer profiling the manager.

Guillen has earned my enmity.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:50 AM

First of all, I’m the last one to defend anything about Slobbering Ozzie, from his on-field tactical style to his horrible eugenics policies. However, Ozzie is flat out not a supporter or admirer of Castro, thinks that Chavez is a bigger asshole than Kenny Williams and Alex Rios combined, and generally mouths right-wing platitudes when politics erupts into his, eh, discourse like a fart of swamp gas when you use your oar to push your rowboat off a submerged mudbar. English is not his first language – which would be apparent to an anencephalic who bothered to pay attention – and much of what he seems to say is an expression of his tenuous grasp of Anglo Saxon semiotics combined with his odd conviction that everything he has to say is profound enough to warrant that attention in the first place.

None of this is meant to imply that I don’t think Ozzie is an idiot. Indeed, it is his very idiocy which makes such inopportune faux pas possible in the first place. But he is not a Castrophile and couldn’t be considered a leftist if he had been born with two sinister thumbs.

18. bbk1000 - Apr 8, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Finally, proof positive that some people are in fact as stupid as they look…..

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I hate to say that I told you so, but….

19. phillyphreak - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Hey..baseball.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Yes, I agree. In Cincinnati yesterday, the Feesh disavowed the virtual somnambulism that has characterized their first couple of games and have hauled themselves back to within grabbing distance of that cluster of grapes hanging from the underside of the strange attractor. Someone must have spiked their coffee with a packet of Skyline Chili mix. I’ll have more of the happy on-field details of yesterday’s return to the land of the living, and a glowing report of the Iron Giant’s heroics, when one of the Circling the Bases regulars shakes off his hangover and posts today’s :Settling the Score” thread.

• stex52 - Apr 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

First of all, my sympathies, OG, but we all knew Ozzie would self-destruct. He is just going in awesome style.

In other news, the Astros are 2-1. I would be buying WS tickets, except I watched game one. Five hits, four errors. The definition of ugly baseball.

20. simon94022 - Apr 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

It’s always been fashionable for stupid people to praise Castro as a way to show anger at the United States.

But the verdict of people who have experienced Cuba is straightforward — hundreds of thousands of Cubans, of all economic classes, have fled the island. Many of them braving shark-infested waters on homemade rafts in their desperation.

Anyone who looks at this record and imagines that Castro is just a “bogeyman” whose crimes are made up by “right-wingers” is a fool — or worse.

21. bbk1000 - Apr 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Sometimes I wonder if the guy is perennially tanked…..it would explain much…

22. iinformeduthusly - Apr 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

That Cuban community has taken much more than it has given to this country. I couldnt care less how they feel on any subject.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:16 PM

First of all, that’s complete garbage. The Cuban community in this country has succeeded at just about every level – educationally, culturally, economically and, like it or not, politically – in a manner that would be a huge credit to any group of new arrivals. Though it’s true the first wave arrived with money they were trying to protect from seizure by the regime and got off to a well heeled start, the subsequent waves of exiles have climbed out of their boats, rafts and truck tires with barely the shirts on their backs, worked their asses off, fed their families, put their kids through school and their kids are now the legal, medical and economic elite of this region. Second of all, I would have to guess that at least two thirds of the major philanthropies of every kind down here were founded and supported by Cuban-Americans effusively grateful for and more than eager to give back to their adoptive country.

You don’t have to like their ethnocentric politics. As a committed democratic socialist I sure don’t. It’s been the dark side of their success – they keep electing crooks and scoundrels who play the most overtly anti-Castro hand when the issues locally are things like sewers, schools, the environment, infrastructure. Many of the most virulently right-wing among them have been at least as anti-democratic and bullying in their response to dissent as the one man they hate above all others has been to their families back home. But in the last national election nearly 40% of them, especially second and third generation Cuban-Americans, voted Democratic, which tells you that they’re assimilating nicely and have become almost as pluralistic in their political leanings as any other group who’ve been here for several generations. Several polls show that a solid majority these younger Cuban-Americans would like to see a sea change in our idiotic Cuban policy, especially scrapping travel restrictions and the embargo. There are still plenty of strident old dinosaurs left out there but they’re declining through attrition, and good riddance to them.

But to say that this remarkable community has “taken more than it has given” is just plain ignorant and stupid of you.

23. kingjoe1 - Apr 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Fire him!

24. jimeejohnson - Apr 8, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Ozzie has a lot in common with THE Ozzie (Osbourne): both say outrageous things, and both are out of their minds! If Ozzie worked for Fidel in Cuba he’d be poor, have access to great health care, and not be able to find a pencil.

25. Gordon - Apr 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Holy crap! When did this site become Pro Political Mudslinging Talk? Enough with this left wing / right wing nonsense.

• Old Gator - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:01 AM

If you’d really been following this site for any length of time, you’d know it’s always had political arguments going on. You’d also know the suzerains of this site have stated, repeatedly, that this topical variety is fine with them within the limits of civility. And of course you’d also know that there are always a few presumptuous gits who chime in here uninvited and try to dictate limits to our discussions that they’re not entitled to impose. They usually go away frustrated by the futility of their enterprise.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Dead on Gator.
        NEWSFLASH PEOPLE: Gator and I (among many…many others) will never agree within the framework of most political debates and/or discussions. Simply put…opposite sides. But there are numerous other topics we can happily discuss and be quite agreeable. The key is to NEVER lose sight of that.
        He hit it on the head with this right here…”that this topical variety is fine with them within the limits of civility.”
        In fact…I find the discussions are very healthy. But again…”within the limits of civility.”
        I also try to appreciate (above all else) where the other party is coming from.
        It allows you to understand their perspective and helps you rip them to shreds in the debates. Hahaha!

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3470)