Apr 7, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Hawpe, who batted .231 (6-for-26) with a homer during Cactus League action, is expected to split playing time between first base and designated hitter as he continues to build arm strength from Tommy John surgery last August. T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com notes that he was not allowed to throw from the outfield during spring training.
Hawpe, a former All-Star with the Rockies, batted just .231/.301/.344 with four homers, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances with the Padres last season.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)