Apr 7, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Hawpe, who batted .231 (6-for-26) with a homer during Cactus League action, is expected to split playing time between first base and designated hitter as he continues to build arm strength from Tommy John surgery last August. T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com notes that he was not allowed to throw from the outfield during spring training.
Hawpe, a former All-Star with the Rockies, batted just .231/.301/.344 with four homers, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances with the Padres last season.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)