Apr 7, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Hawpe, who batted .231 (6-for-26) with a homer during Cactus League action, is expected to split playing time between first base and designated hitter as he continues to build arm strength from Tommy John surgery last August. T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com notes that he was not allowed to throw from the outfield during spring training.
Hawpe, a former All-Star with the Rockies, batted just .231/.301/.344 with four homers, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances with the Padres last season.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (101)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)