Apr 7, 2012, 2:06 PM EDT
Hawpe, who batted .231 (6-for-26) with a homer during Cactus League action, is expected to split playing time between first base and designated hitter as he continues to build arm strength from Tommy John surgery last August. T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com notes that he was not allowed to throw from the outfield during spring training.
Hawpe, a former All-Star with the Rockies, batted just .231/.301/.344 with four homers, 19 RBI and a .645 OPS over 216 plate appearances with the Padres last season.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 53
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 45
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 82
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (238)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)