Apr 7, 2012, 2:32 PM EDT
2:43 p.m. EDT: Brett Lawrie broke up the no-hitter with a two-run single to center with two outs in the seventh. The runners had previously moved up on a wild pitch, allowing the single to tie the game at 2.
Jimenez finished the seventh from there, but since he’s at 95 pitches now, there’s a good chance he’s done for the day.
2:40 p.m. EDT: Jimenez walked two of the first three batters in the seventh, leading to visit from the pitching coach and Rafael Perez getting up in the bullpen. The one out came despite Shin-Soo Choo losing a fly to right-center in the sun. Fortunately, center fielder Michael Brantley was able to step in and catch it.
Ubaldo Jimenez retired the first 17 batters he faced and has took a no-hitter into the seventh inning Saturday against the Blue Jays.
Jiemenz and Brandon Morrow actually had dueling no-hitters going into the bottom of the fifth. After Morrow started that frame with two quick outs, J.P. Arencibia committed a throwing error on Casey Kotchman‘s grounder in front of the plate. It should have been the third out of the inning, but Jason Kipnis followed it with a two-run homer before Jack Hannahan struck out.
Jimenez didn’t allow a baserunner of any sort until Colby Rasmus walked with two outs in the sixth. He’s at 75 pitches through six.
The exceptional outing follows an exhibition season in which Jimenez allowed 24 runs — 19 earned — and 30 hits in 23 innings. He struck out 15 and walked 15 in his seven starts.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)