Zack Greinke is your first-third NL Cy Young

Apr 7, 2012, 6:31 PM EST

Zack Greinke Getty Images

The last couple of years I’ve done first-third awards at the end of May, handing out Rookie of the Years, Cy Youngs and MVPs at the end of May based on what had happened 54 or so games in.

This year, I’m going to call one a little early: Zack Greinke will be the first-third Cy Young in the NL.

Greinke has looked terrific right since the start of the spring, and he was especially exceptional in Saturday’s season debut, shutting out the Cardinals for seven innings. He allowed three hits, walked none and struck out seven.

The Greinke we’re seeing now looks a whole lot like the one who won the 2009 AL Cy Young Award with the Royals. He ended that year with a 2.16 ERA and 242 strikeouts in 229 1/3 innings. The two years since have been modest disappointments, as he finished with a 4.17 ERA in his last year in K.C. and a 3.83 ERA in his first in Milwaukee, but he did strike out a career-best 10.5 batters per nine innings last season, showing his stuff was intact.

Whether he’ll keep it together for the whole year remains to be seen. He has plenty of incentive, this being his walk year, but Greinke seems to look at the world a bit differently than most of the rest of us and his results haven’t always matched his stuff. I’ll trust him to keep it going for a couple of months anyway. For the full year, I think I’d still rather take my chances with Roy Halladay or Clayton Kershaw.

1. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Greinke was awesome today. The Brewers rule!

• ajcardsfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM

He certainly kicked our ass Saturday night, well pitched game.

2. brewcitybummer - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM

He used a cutter to set up his slider a couple times today. That combo could be devastating if hes got it consistently this season.

3. sasquash20 - Apr 7, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Give me Doc, Lee, or the Cole Train over Greinke

• kcfanatic - Apr 7, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Okay take ‘em all. We will take Greinke back in KC today.

• aceshigh11 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Phillies fan thread hijacking in progress…

4. vols84 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Hochaver looked pretty darn good today for KC. Hosmer and Moose went yard too.

5. vols84 - Apr 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I predict Greinke will be back in KC this year….for the all star game

6. okwhitefalcon - Apr 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I’d say he’s a solid pick for first third CY if a vast majority of his starts are at home.

If not, forget it – he’s no road warrior.

7. adamhansolo - Apr 12, 2012 at 3:24 PM

You may have think of a new first third cy young. Cubbies are are feasting on him right now.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester