Apr 8, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT
White Sox manager Robin Ventura refused to anoint one pitcher as the team’s closer all spring and told reporters at the start of the regular season that they’d have to “wait and see” who gets the nod in the ninth-inning when the first save opportunity arises.
Well, the secret is finally out.
Hector Santiago, a 24-year-old left-hander from Newark, New Jersey, was called on to finish off Saturday’s 4-3 victory over the Rangers and did so effectively, tossing 11 pitches in a perfect ninth.
After the game Ventura was asked if Santiago is officially the team’s new primary saves man. According to Scot Gregor of the Arlington Heights Daily Herald, the rookie manager responded: “He is.”
Santiago registered an underwhelming 3.56 ERA, 1.32 WHIP and 74/39 K/BB ratio across 83 1/3 innings last season at Double-A Birmingham, but the White Sox like his screwball and clearly believe in his confidence. If he falls apart, look for Addison Reed to get the next shot. Matt Thornton is also an option.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)