Apr 8, 2012, 3:16 PM EDT
Orioles right-hander Jason Hammel has a 4.99 career ERA and 1.47 career WHIP in the major leagues. But he’s putting on a clinic right now in Baltimore against an anemic Twins offense.
Hammel has thrown seven no-hit innings and is only up to 77 total pitches as the O’s prepare to bat in the bottom of the seventh. He’s walked two and fanned three, and allowed only two balls out of the infield.
We’ll update his progress from here on out.
UPDATE, 3:27 PM: Twins designated hitter Justin Morneau launched a double off the right field wall on the first pitch of the eighth inning. Josh Willingham followed with a double of his own, scoring Morneau and breaking up Hammel’s shot at a shutout. So much for that.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (132)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)