Apr 8, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT
Gotta love it…
Yes, Alcides Escobar is batting second for the Royals on Sunday. Not because Ned Yost thinks he’s good. Yost thinks Escobar is the worst or second worst hitter in his lineup, which is why he’s typically batted him ninth. But he’d decided it’s more important to protect his No. 6 hitter in Moustakas than it is to have someone halfway decent hitting in front of Eric Hosmer.
In what world does that make sense?
(This is my crusade of the month. Sorry if you’re sick of reading about it already, but managers have been giving away way too many outs from the second spot in the order these last couple of years.)
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 41
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon 78
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 45
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 75
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (101)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)