Apr 8, 2012, 10:41 AM EDT
The Cubs have suffered two straight late-innings losses to the Nationals, settling in at the bottom of the NL Central standings with an 0-2 record. The struggles should come as no surprise given the lack of talent on the Northsiders’ 25-man roster and new president Theo Epstein’s implementation of a full-on rebuilding plan, but Wrigleyville bar owners were likely hoping that the team could stay afloat through … like … May.
From Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune comes the photo below of the sign this morning outside Murphy’s Bleachers, a famous watering hole across the street from Wrigley Field. “Gnats” is a nice touch.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 18
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)