Apr 8, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Jeremy Hellickson allowed three hits over 8 2/3 innings Sunday as the Rays beat the Yankees 3-0 to complete a three-game sweep to start the season.
The Rays got another homer in this one from Carlos Pena. Including the grand slam in his first at-bat of the season Friday, Pena drove in seven runs in the series. Evan Longoria went 2-for-3 today and 6-for-10 with a homer and three walks in the series.
Hellickson, the 2011 AL Rookie of the Year, got roughed up this spring, finishing with a 9.00 ERA and 33 hits allowed in 20 innings. Many are expecting him to give up more hits this year, but he allowed just three — all of them doubles — in this one.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (108)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)