And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Apr 9, 2012, 5:50 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

There were only 14 games yesterday. On a Sunday. Because the A’s and Mariners didn’t play thanks to the Japan Series. Look, I don’t care if you want to start the season in Japan, but there should be a federal law against anything less than a full slate of games on a Sunday.  Anyway:

Tigers 13, Red Sox 12: How about the back end of that Red Sox bullpen? Alfredo Aceves blew a 10-7 lead in the ninth thanks to a Miguel Cabrera three-run homer and Mark Melancon blew a two-run lead in the eleventh thanks to a walkoff job by Alex Avila. Anyone want to see Vicente Padilla closing? He threw 50 m.p.h. heat to Prince Fielder and lived to tell the tale. Anyway, so far Miguel Cabrera has begun the season 5 for his first 11 with three homers and eight RBI. Both Fielder and Avila are 5 for 12 with two bombs. Mercy.

Pirates 5, Phillies 4: That’s two walkoff wins in a row for Pittsburgh, this one courtesy of Andrew McCutchen. Phillies starters gave up only two runs in twenty innings this series, yet they dropped two of the three games.

Rays 3, Yankees 0: Jeremy Hellickson allowed three hits while shutting out the Yankees for eight and two-thirds. He just couldn’t get the shutout, however, as he walked Nick Swisher, pushing his pitch count up to 118. Four Fernando Rodney pitches later and it was over. The Rays sweep the Yankees. This never would have happened if The Boss were still alive!  Oh, wait, it very well might have.

Orioles 3, Twins 1: Jason Hammel took a no-hitter into the eighth inning and the Twins mustered just two hits in the whole ballgame.  The Twins scored just five runs in the entire series. Against Baltimore. The Baltimore Orioles.

Mets 7, Braves 5Jon Niese took a no-hitter into the seventh inning in a game that was nowhere near as close as the final score suggests (the Mets had a 7-0 lead until that seventh inning). The Braves scored seven runs on fourteen hits in three games.

Indians 4, Blues Jays 3: Carlos Santana hit two home runs. It was also his birthday so, hey, free dessert at Applebee’s too. According to the AP recap, Santana is 10 for 17 with five homers and 13 RBIs on his last four birthdays.

Cubs 4, Nationals 3: Man, I’ve gone several years now without having any compelling reason to learn how to spell Jeff Samardzija‘s name, but now it looks like I gotta. Samardzija nearly went the distance — and had what should have been the last out except Starlin Castro committed an error — before giving up a homer to Adam LaRoche.  Still, eight and two-thirds innings, allowing only one earned run on four hits while striking out eight is not bad. Not bad at all.

Cardinals 9, Brewers 3: Lance Lynn wasn’t even supposed to be here today, man. Indeed, but for the Chris Carpenter injury, Lynn would be working from the pen. But he did just swell starting, giving up one run in six and two-thirds while punching out eight. The Cards take two of three from the Brew Crew. Corey Hart went yard for the third time in two days. Which is kind of nuts considering the dude had surgery and was on crutches about a month ago.

Padres 8, Dodgers 4: Clayton Richard gave up two runs on two hits but neither of the runs were earned. Chase Heddy — wait, that’s Headley — had a grand slam.

Diamondbacks 7, Giants 6: San Francisco had a 6-0 lead after they finished batting in the fourth, but Matt Cain and Jeremy Affeldt couldn’t hold the Dbacks down.

Royals 7, Angels 3Eric Hosmer and Billy Butler homered and drove in three runs apiece as the Royals take two of three from Anaheim. Albert Pujols went two for three with a double and his first RBI as a Halo.

Astros 3, Rockies 2:  Juan Nicasio put forth a fine effort (7 IP, 5 H, 1 ER) in his first regular season action since taking that nasty comebacker last year. It didn’t hold up, however, as the Rockies’ defense failed on a ball back to the mound in the eighth, allowing Houston to score the tying run while extending the inning for the go-ahead single by Brian Bogusevic. Pfun Pfact: This is the first time the Astros have been over .500 since July 29, 2009. They shouldn’t get used to it, but good for them.

Rangers 5, White Sox 0: Matt Harrison and three relievers combine for the shutout. Homers from Murphy, Beltre and Hamilton. And yeah, I watched “Mad Men” instead of the last few innings of this game. I’m still in spring training form I guess. Anyway: WTF with Don’s fever dream? Crazy!

Reds 6, Marlins 5: Heath Bell couldn’t hold a one-run lead, giving up a homer to Jay Bruce and then a hot-shot infield single by Scott Rolen.  Ozzie Guillen has now gone two whole days without expressing his admiration and affection for brutal socialist dictators.

1. Old Gator - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:22 AM

The strange attractor receded another game from the beseeching Feesh. Bell was really wild in the strike zone yesterday, even after the Feesh managed to claw their way out of the hole that Krazy Karlos dug for them in the first inning. To Lamebraino’s credit it must be said that after his mini-meltdown in the first inning he did settle down and retire something like 12 Reds in a row – I suspect Slobbering Ozzie confided to him in the dugout between innings that he couldn’t be seen coddling any more Reds after Time had exposed his revolutionary sympathies the day before.

So, the Feesh limp onward – they face a car-avan and demonstration by a Jurassic era right-wing Cuban exile group in Macondo on Wednesday who will be demanding that Scrooge McLoria unceremoniously dump his beloved court jester or threaten a boycott of the team. A fan boycott. Do you believe that? A boycott of the Feesh? That makes about as much sense as Orbitz and Expedia mounting a tourist boycott of Sendai. Some things just aren’t worth the effort.

Courtesy of Clark Spencer of the Macondo Feeshwrapper, here’s the hilariousl, predictably incoherent text of Slobbering Ozzie’s dialogue with the Feesh beat writers yesterday as he tries to corkscrew his way out of the mess he’s made:

“There’s a statement about, it’s a magazine come out, quoting me ‘I love Fidel.’ Kind of funny (expletive). But it’s not funny. I want to send a statement to the public. But, being more myself, I think statements is for the people that don’t want to face the media and don’t want to face the truth and hiding for what they did and what they don’t did.

“I think when I was talking about that specific man, it was personal. It wasn’t politic. I don’t believe in politics. I come from a place that has been very, very struggle in politics. I’m against the way he (Castro) treats people and the way treats his country for a long time. I’m against that 100 percent. I’m not crazy or stupid or ignorant to say I love somebody. It don’t just hurt Cuban people. It hurt a lot of people, and Venezuelans. The statement I make, whoever got hurt or whoever misunderstood, or whoever can take it the way the way they want to take it, I will apologize for the thing. I will apologize if I hurt somebody’s feelings, or I hurt somebody’s thought. I want them to know I”m against everything 100 percent — I repeat it again — the way this man be treating people for the last 60 years.

“The reason I say I admire him is because a lot of people want to get rid of this guy and they couldn’t yet. It was kind of personal, not political. If you not read the article, it sound ugly, because the first time I read it I thought ‘Wow, that going to get me in trouble.’ I understand that. And I’m not hiding from anybody, especially the people in Miami. I just finished up talking to the Spanish people (media). With the bottom of my heart, if they want to believe me…if they’re disappointed or upset at what I say, I don’t blame them. But I live in Miami for 12 years. I know exactly what this man (Castro) means to the town.

QUESTION: What exactly was the context of what you said?

Guillen: “The guy put in the first thing, ‘I love Fidel.” And then I say, ‘But this (expletive) still alive.’ I’d rather talk to you guys personal. To me, I’m not a statement guy.

QUESTION: But when you said ‘I love Fidel,’ what were you referring to?

Guillen: “I said I respect this man because I respect Obama, I respect Chavez, I respect everybody because I always respect people. But, meanwhile, I disagree 100 percent what this guy been doing to that country. I respect him because, wow, nobody loves this man, nobody like him. And what I say in the article is that (expletive) is still there. But politics? I don’t think it’s going well with me. Because I”m not a political people.

“But everybody’s upset and sad about what I say. I’m a grown man and I can take it. But I want to let them know that I apologize. But in the meanwhile, I was not talking about politics. I say I love Fidel. But they come out….they say exactly what I say.

“I can’t even sleep last night. That’s the first time I can’t sleep at night thinking about what the day is going to be like today. As soon as I read it last night, I was sick to my stomach all the way to today. And I think coming up today, it helped me to help me go to sleep tonight after we win. I know how the Cuban people feel about this man. It’s not proper for me to talk about this man. I was all over (expletive) Sean Penn because he talked about Venezuela. I shouldn’t be talking about Cuba or Fidel.”

QUESTION: Anybody from the team call you and express…..

Guillen: “David (Samson) just wanted to let me know yesterday. I say this is not the Marlins problem. This is Ozzie Guillen’s problem.”

QUESTION: “Was he angry?”

Guillen: “No, not at all. Because he read it. When you talk politics in Miami, especially about that man, you got a chance to put yourself in a (bad) position. I talk to Miami radio in Spanish about the way I feel about it. I don’t blame anybody who be upset. I don’t blame them a bit. I take full responsibility about it. But, meanwhile, I let the people know how bad I feel and I apologize to them.

“I don’t want to (issue) a statement, because a statement is like people are hiding or something. I’m not going to read no statement either. Everything comes from the bottom of my heart. I don’t need to lie to nobody because…I can sleep tonight because I got (this) off my chest.”

“As soon as read that thing (article), I know exactly what I was going to go through. And I face it like a man.”

QUESTION: Do you think you’ll catch some backlash when you get back to Miami?

Guillen: “I hope not. Listen, I come from the same part of the country. We go through a lot of (expletive). I work for the people against Chavez in Venezuela. I mean, that’s enough to say. Every paper every day I wrote against Chavez every (expletive) minute. They know exactly who I am, what I thought and what I think about Fidel and Chavez. In Venezuela, this is public what I think about it.”

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/fish_bytes/2012/04/guillen-apologizes-for-i-love-castro-comment.html#storylink=cpy

On the positive side, the Feesh bats seem to have come undead and one assumes that the peetching will stabilize eventually. And now, dear Buddha, let’s chant a mantra: It’s early. It’s early. It’s early…..

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:39 AM

It’s been a long, bleak, desolate winter waiting for the re-birth of robins, crocuses, and the strange attractor! Hereafter referred to as whatever cockamamie two word non sequiter I come up with at the time.

• APBA Guy - Apr 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Front page news in Miami, afterthought everywhere else, hence the thumbs down from “baseball only on MY Blog” readers. This blog has never been “baseball only” going back to the Shysterball days, when about 8 of us read and commented.

Anyway, when I was in elementary school at McDill airbase in Tampa, we’d get Spanish lessons over the radio direct from Havana. “Havana es bonita” was the first Spanish I ever learned. Then one day, the lessons were gone. Was it our military’s decision or was it Castro shutting down the broadcast? We never found out. But most of us kids missed the broadcast.

By the way, Cespedes is on track for 120 HR’s, as I mentioned yesterday. But the A’s are 1-3. Today they start a series with the new-look Royals who are well advanced in their rebuilding. I’m looking forward to the beloved A’s playing any team that doesn’t feature a King Felix quality starter twice in 4 games.

2. phillyphever - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:42 AM

IDK what PNC was built under, but it must be cursed towards the Phillies. They just can’t win there at all.

• rambodiaz - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:34 AM

True, but give the Phils their full lineup and put them in PNC and see what happens. Bucs pitched great this weekend, but if your bats were at full strength, I’d have to think that the outcome could’ve been pretty different.

• paperlions - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:49 AM

This might actually be pretty close to the Phillies full lineup for this year. If/When Howard comes back, at least for this year, he likely won’t be much (if any) better than whoever else they trot out there….and with Utley’s knee condition, the same may be true of him.

• rambodiaz - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:14 AM

That’s an excellent point that I wasn’t really thinking about. Philly might not get either of those guys back, and that lineup could struggle the whole year long.

I think Manuel deserves a fair share of the blame for the loss yesterday, too. I’m amazed he let them pitch to McCutchen.

• phillyphreak - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

The fact that this could be the full lineup for the year is frightening actually. I know everyone likes to rip on Howard (including me), especially given his just-started contract, but he’s better than Wiggington and Nix when healthy. As you point out paper, I think it’s questionable how long it takes him to get to “healthy” coming off of this injury. More important will be Utley, in my opinion.

More frightening though is all of the bunting they are doing….

• deepstblu - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:24 AM

The Phillies’ all-time record at PNC is horrible–I forget what stat the radio guys quoted, but they’ve lost far more series there than they’ve won.

• Jonny 5 - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

You can’t win baseball games when you give away that many free outs (bunts) when half of your line up is an automatic out on top of it.. Galvis hits like a pitcher so far and Nix/ Wiggington are being used too much. Mayberry needs to be on 1st base and Pierre in LF. Nix and Wiggington should not be starting games.

• phillies2k8 - Apr 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM

@ Jonny 5 – I was thinking the same thing. Why are these guys starting? Maybe after 6-7 consecutive games they can give someone a breather, but to start the season? Guess Charlie is on board as both Nix/Wiggington are on the bench against Miami.

• phillyphever - Apr 9, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Nah, if with Utley and Howard, they still would have trouble there.

3. a125125125 - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Will media members ever quit complaining about the Japanese Series? If your Easter Sunday was really ruined by the lack of a Mariners-A’s game, it might be time to re-evaluate your priorities.

• phillyphreak - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:23 AM

What about for those who do not celebrate Easter?

• a125125125 - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:36 AM

I think you probably still get the point. This Japanese Series has become such a complaint fest from the media that it’s unbelievable. It’s as if Bud Selig strapped them all to a chair and forced them to watch the games….while simultaneously Bud was clubbing every baby seal between here and Japan. It was a baseball series….between two pretty mediocre teams…..that IN NO WAY ruined Opening Day for anyone (other than morons). Yet the media acts as if it has marred the high holy holiday of Opening Day.

• phillyphreak - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Yea I know what you were saying I was just being snarky for fun. But I really don’t see all of the complaints about that series..some complaints but maybe not to the level you see/read them.

• stex52 - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Government holiday. Atheists like it, too. At least, the atheists in my family do.

4. phillyphreak - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:25 AM

The sun is shining, the birds are chirping and we just wrapped up the first weekend of baseball. What a glorious time of the year. So, let’s commence with small sample overreactions. The Orioles are going to make the playoffs and the Red Sox will finish in last place in the NL.

5. proudlycanadian - Apr 9, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I just looked at Boston.com. Panic has set in already. Boston fans should remember (1) that the team also had a slow start last year and (2) the Yankees are also win less.

• phillyphreak - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:20 AM

And the Mets/Orioles are 3-0. SSS be damned…..

• dwrek5 - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:12 AM

” Boston fans should remember (1) that the team also had a slow start last year”

And they missed the playoffs…

6. 4d3fect - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:07 AM

ATH.

All is right with the world.

And that’s HEADLEY!

7. stex52 - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM

If you project the Astro’s results forward to the end of the season, they will go 108-54! I’m ready to go pick up World Series tickets!

What? Small sample size, you say? Fie on you, Doubters! Or perhaps you saw that little travesty of a game Friday night where they gave up four unearned runs. Unfortunately, that may be closer to the norm.

But that is the joy of April. Everything still seems possible.

8. badmamainphilliesjamas - Apr 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Despite the Phils’ frustrating weekend, it’s great to have real baseball back. Baseball on the radio . . . in the backyard on a glorious spring day . . . :)

9. uyf1950 - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

After this weekends baseball games I just want to leave everyone with this thought.

If anyone needs confirmation that after just the first weekend of MLB fans across the country are in “bizzaro world” or that the earth’s poles are beginning to shift and effecting the natural order of things one only need look at the following baseball stats.

From the sublime:
    Baltimore Orioles: 3-0 tied for the lead in AL East Division
    NY Mets: 3-0 leading the NL East Division
    Seattle Mariners: 3-1 leading the AL West Division

To the ridiculous:
    NY Yankees: 0-3 tied for last place in the AL East Division
    Boston Red Sox: 0-3 tied for last place in the AL East (although not that ridiculous)
    Atlanta Braves: 0-3 last in the NL East Division
    SF Giants: 0-3 last in the NL West Division
    Philadelphia Phillies: 1-2 in 3rd in the NL East Division

Now look at some of the premier pitchers performances this past weekend:
    Tim Lincecum – April 6th: 5 1/3 innings, 5 ER’s, 8.44 ERA for the game
    Matt Cain – April 8th: 6 innings, 5 ER’s, 7.50 ERA for the game
    Felix Hernandez – April 7th: 6 1/3 innings, 6 ER’s, 8.53 ERA for the game
    CC Sabathia – April 6th: 6 innings, 5 ER’s, 7.50 ERA for the game
    Josh Beckett – April 7th; 4 2/3 innings, 7 ER’s, 13.50 ERA for the game

Now I have little doubt that the effects of the polar shift are temporary and that we will soon escape from “bizzaro world”. Well at least all of us except Red Sox fans. But remember the Mayan Prophecy of Armageddon on 12/21/2012, this weekend in MLB could be the 1st phase of that prophecy’s fulfillment.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I actually think it will occur sooner. Jamie Moyer will pitch a perfect game and then the world will end.

• natstowngreg - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM

You mean the Mayan calendar is wrong, and the world will end before December 21?

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Some people say it’s the summer solstice not the winter one… is Moyer pitching on June 21?

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

How refreshing it will be to return to thre friendly confines of Yankees Stadium South for the next three day!

10. sdelmonte - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Break up the Mets!!

I know it can’t last. But I am happy to take a good start.

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Congrats to the Metropolitans!

• foreverchipper10 - Apr 9, 2012 at 5:26 PM

3-0 Mets and 0-3 Yankees. Who woulda thought?

11. dondada10 - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM

In my 20+ years of watching baseball, I’ve never seen fans overreact to a 3 game sample more than this year.

This goes for fans of 3-0 teams, 0-3 teams, and quite frankly everything in-between.

Memorial Day is the soonest anything matters, and Memorial Day is still very early in the season.

12. umrguy42 - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM

“This never would have happened if The Boss were still alive! Oh, wait, it very well might have.”

Right, like in 1998, apparently. uyf and yankeesfanlen can fill you in on the rest of the story, I’m sure :p

• yankeesfanlen - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Starters Pettitte, Wells, and Cone lost the first three games vs Angels and A’s, fienal regular season 114-48, swept World Series, George was going to fire entire team after first three games , ’98 and ’27 considered best teams ever.

13. cltjump - Apr 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

I pull for perrenial underachievers… The only bright spot on this weekend was Hanson’s great performance…

14. El Bravo - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:00 AM

ATH 4 Life

• natstowngreg - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM

*applause*

15. pharmerbrown - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Could you imagine Craig revealing a bold “ATH 4 LIFE” left bicep tattoo the next time he is on TV? Baseball diamond in the background behind the “4”, “ATH” and “LIFE” in a traditional English facing, a la the Detroit Tigers “D”. Would really do a lot to back up his street cred…

• kiwicricket - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:25 AM

We can all chip in, and pay for it. It’s the least we could do.

16. natstowngreg - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM

The Nats need to understand that coming from behind every game is not a sound strategy for contending. Neither is wasting good starting pitching, as they did with Strasburg’s and Zimmermann’s starts.

• ajcardsfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM

This was a great weekend to be in/near Missouri. Both of our state’s teams won, and it was beautiful weather…damn, the world really is going to end this year isn’t it?

• ajcardsfan - Apr 9, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Apologies natstowngreg, my browser made this a reply to your post instead of UMRguy42.

• natstowngreg - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Not a problem.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3041)