Apr 9, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Chad Qualls was unavailable to pitch yesterday because of a foot injury, which the Phillies reliever described as like a “knife was going at the back of my heel.”
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Qualls actually pitched through that pain Saturday, throwing a scoreless inning against the Pirates, but sat out yesterday’s game and is now scheduled to see a doctor back in Philadelphia.
One of Qualls’ biggest strengths is durability and he apparently doesn’t know how this injury occurred, but it caused the Phillies to use Kyle Kendrick on consecutive days for the first time in his career and could put a lot of stress on a bullpen that’s already without Jose Contreras.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)