Apr 9, 2012, 11:51 AM EDT
Chad Qualls was unavailable to pitch yesterday because of a foot injury, which the Phillies reliever described as like a “knife was going at the back of my heel.”
Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Qualls actually pitched through that pain Saturday, throwing a scoreless inning against the Pirates, but sat out yesterday’s game and is now scheduled to see a doctor back in Philadelphia.
One of Qualls’ biggest strengths is durability and he apparently doesn’t know how this injury occurred, but it caused the Phillies to use Kyle Kendrick on consecutive days for the first time in his career and could put a lot of stress on a bullpen that’s already without Jose Contreras.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 7
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 30
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (195)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)