Happy Darvish Day!

Apr 9, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

darvish getty Getty Images

Yu Darvish makes his major league debut tonight. Not a bad opponent for it either: the Seattle Mariners. I have this feeling the first Darvish-Ichiro matchup is gonna get a little press in Japan. Just a hunch.

Darvish was 1-0 with a 3.60 ERA and 21 strikeouts in 15 innings in spring training. He’s not unhittable, certainly, as his mistakes seemed to be in the zone on offspeed things — I saw Will Venable absolutely murder a Darvish pitch in Peoria that was still going up when it hit the tall batter’s eye in center field — but anyone with that kind of strikeout mojo is outrageously fun to watch.

Good luck, Mariners.

1. phukyouk - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:36 AM

6.2 IP 3ER 7K’s 2BB

2. pkswally024 - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Is this game being televised on the east coast? Would love to catch this game.

• storebrandcookies - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Ranger games are usually on Fox Sports SouthWest.. don’t know if ya’ll get that on the east coast.

• natstowngreg - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Not likely, unless you’re paying for Extra Innings or MLB.tv, or maybe have a dish.

• foreverchipper10 - Apr 9, 2012 at 6:18 PM

If you have DirecTV they are doing a free preview of extra innings.

3. storebrandcookies - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Going to this game and I’ll tell ya’ll its going to be a treat to watch him pitch.

4. shawnuel - Apr 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

This should provide a solid test for the new-look Mariner offense (25 hits, 15 runs in last two games) as well. A better opponent than ANY starter in Oakland, for sure.

5. natstowngreg - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM

And so, The Yu Darvish Watch ends…

6. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:58 AM

I hope the nickname ‘Whirling Darvish’ gets picked up.

7. whatthehellisansky - Apr 9, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Im thinking it will take at least half a season til the hitters catch up to him – once they get the scouting reports together will be the real test.

I just cannot believe Nolan Ryan would throw $110 million at a guy who isn’t legit. My money says hes the real deal.

Oh and for the record im not a big fan of that ornery asshole grass salesman (Ryan) – but he sure knows his pitching.

8. angrycorgi - Apr 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I’m betting he goes 7+ innings with 3ERs, 3BB, and 11Ks…I think he walks a couple in the second inning, gets hit some in the 2nd and 3rd and then settles down. All ERs will be HR fed.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

3BB and 11K would be a hell of a debut. I’m sure any ranger fan would take that any day of the week and twice on sunday.

9. cup0pizza - Apr 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM

pkswally, the MLB extra innings package currently has a free preview, so if you have DirecTV or a television provider with the MLB package, you’ll be able to watch.

As for the commenter who seems convinced already that Darvish sucks, you need to educate yourself a little. There’s a very strong chance that he makes the feeble M’s lineup look silly tonight and for many more outings going forward. Darvish is as legit as it gets.

10. angrycorgi - Apr 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I live in DC and pay for MLB.com every year so I can watch the Rangers. It’s worth it. You get to watch pretty much whatever you want.

11. cup0pizza - Apr 9, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I misinterpreted an earlier comment that at a quick glance seemed dismissive of Darvish, and I stand corrected on that. Sorry.

Three legends off to Cooperstown