Apr 9, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
The Phillies are now 1-3 and have scored eight total runs. That’s mildly alarming. Almost as alarming as Omar Infante going yard twice and, heck, Austin Kearns doing it even once. But that’s what happened today as the Marlins beat the Phillies 6-2 in the Philadelphia home opener.
Infante went deep on Cole Hamels in the fifth and on reliever Joe Savery in the seventh. Kearns hit a bomb off Jonathan Papelbon in the ninth as the Phillies’ closer got some work in in a non-save situation. Gabby Sanchez added two hits and two RBI of his own.
Ozzie Guillen likely created more headlines for tomorrow when, following the game, he professed his love and respect for Józef Chlopicki, Polish dictator from December 5, 1830 through January 17, 1831. At this point I think Ozzie is just messing with us.
Anyway, while Hamels’ outing was decidedly “meh,” (5.1 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 9K), it was the Phillies bats that once again were the story. They mustered only six hits and a single walk against Anibal Sanchez and three Miami relievers.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)