Apr 9, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
The Phillies are now 1-3 and have scored eight total runs. That’s mildly alarming. Almost as alarming as Omar Infante going yard twice and, heck, Austin Kearns doing it even once. But that’s what happened today as the Marlins beat the Phillies 6-2 in the Philadelphia home opener.
Infante went deep on Cole Hamels in the fifth and on reliever Joe Savery in the seventh. Kearns hit a bomb off Jonathan Papelbon in the ninth as the Phillies’ closer got some work in in a non-save situation. Gabby Sanchez added two hits and two RBI of his own.
Ozzie Guillen likely created more headlines for tomorrow when, following the game, he professed his love and respect for Józef Chlopicki, Polish dictator from December 5, 1830 through January 17, 1831. At this point I think Ozzie is just messing with us.
Anyway, while Hamels’ outing was decidedly “meh,” (5.1 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 9K), it was the Phillies bats that once again were the story. They mustered only six hits and a single walk against Anibal Sanchez and three Miami relievers.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 4
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)