Apr 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Ozzie Guillen already offered what seemed to be a pretty decent explanation/apology for his Fidel Castro comments, but apparently it wasn’t good enough. No, the Outrage Industrial Complex requires a more formal (i.e. fake) form of contrition, usually in the form of a dour faced person sitting at a podium next to some other dour faced people.
Thus Ozzie Guillen will leave the Florida Marlins on their current road trip in order to return to Miami tomorrow to apologize once again:
Miami Marlins manger Ozzie Guillen will apologize again for telling a magazine he loves Fidel Castro. Guillen will return to Florida following Monday’s game at Philadelphia and apologize Tuesday at Marlins Park. The Phillies and Marlins are off Tuesday before the series resumes Wednesday.
Make no mistake: this is a perp walk. Read that Miami Herald article I linked above and tell me what else he could say that would shed any more light on this tempest. If that’s not good enough for the people who are angry, great, it’s not good enough, and let them do and think about it what they will.
But at least it had the benefit of being sincere, which whatever Guillen does while sitting in a hastily-assembled press event will almost certainly not be.
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 35
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 24
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 51
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (88)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)