Apr 9, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Ozzie Guillen already offered what seemed to be a pretty decent explanation/apology for his Fidel Castro comments, but apparently it wasn’t good enough. No, the Outrage Industrial Complex requires a more formal (i.e. fake) form of contrition, usually in the form of a dour faced person sitting at a podium next to some other dour faced people.
Thus Ozzie Guillen will leave the Florida Marlins on their current road trip in order to return to Miami tomorrow to apologize once again:
Miami Marlins manger Ozzie Guillen will apologize again for telling a magazine he loves Fidel Castro. Guillen will return to Florida following Monday’s game at Philadelphia and apologize Tuesday at Marlins Park. The Phillies and Marlins are off Tuesday before the series resumes Wednesday.
Make no mistake: this is a perp walk. Read that Miami Herald article I linked above and tell me what else he could say that would shed any more light on this tempest. If that’s not good enough for the people who are angry, great, it’s not good enough, and let them do and think about it what they will.
But at least it had the benefit of being sincere, which whatever Guillen does while sitting in a hastily-assembled press event will almost certainly not be.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)