Apr 9, 2012, 8:56 AM EDT
Actually, it may not be panic in Red Sox Nation, but it’s starting in the press already, so you have to figure that it’s either a reflection of or a precursor to some amount of overreaction in the fan base. Rob Bradford: three games in, already asking if the Sox should blow up the rotation and the bullpen by moving Daniel Bard into the closer’s role:
It sounds stupid, I know. One game in such a huge batch affecting the future of a pitcher and an organization? But one of the key elements in building a successful foundation is understanding when there is a crossroads and then taking the right path.
Terry Francona identified the moment two games into the 2006 season, sending Jonathan Papelbon down his six-year run as Red Sox closer while kicking Keith Foulke to the eigth-inning curb. Now it might be Bobby Valentine’s turn.
Three games, folks. Three games against one of the best teams in the game. You don’t throw an entire winter’s planning and an entire’s spring training’s worth of preparation over the side based on Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder hitting some home runs off you.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)