Apr 9, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
Left-handed hitting first basemen/designated hitters certainly aren’t in popular demand at the moment, and there’s a good chance Brandon Allen will clear waivers after being designated for assignment by the A’s on Monday. Still, there are a few teams that might want to take a chance on him, including Oakland’s division rival in Texas.
The Rangers currently have just three left-handed hitters on their roster and failed Orioles prospect Brandon Snyder occupying a bench spot. Allen could come in as an occasional first baseman and DH against right-handers, and he might prove to be an upgrade on Mitch Moreland if given the chance.
Allen is a flyball hitter, so he was a pretty poor fit in Oakland from the start. Not only is the Coliseum outfield big, but the vast expanse of foul territory turns more infield pops into outs. He’d be a whole lot more likely to contribute in Texas. He still wouldn’t hit for a strong average, but he’d be a better bet to come in at .240-.250, and with his power and walk rate, that’d probably make him pretty valuable.
Philadelphia is another team I think Allen would help, but the Phillies aren’t going to cut any of their veteran part-timers to make room for him, even if he might be a better stopgap first baseman than anyone else on the roster.
If Texas passes, then I don’t see any obvious candidates to claim Allen. The Cubs are being pretty aggressive in trying to collect talent, but they’ll probably pass unless they think Allen is athletic enough to contribute as a part-time outfielder (he started 14 games in the left field for the Diamondbacks in 2010). I’d like to see Allen in Yankee Stadium, but the Bombers don’t have room on their bench. Allen is out of options, so if a team claims him and tries sending him to Triple-A, he’d have to go right back on waivers again.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (125)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)