Apr 9, 2012, 6:36 PM EDT
Left-handed hitting first basemen/designated hitters certainly aren’t in popular demand at the moment, and there’s a good chance Brandon Allen will clear waivers after being designated for assignment by the A’s on Monday. Still, there are a few teams that might want to take a chance on him, including Oakland’s division rival in Texas.
The Rangers currently have just three left-handed hitters on their roster and failed Orioles prospect Brandon Snyder occupying a bench spot. Allen could come in as an occasional first baseman and DH against right-handers, and he might prove to be an upgrade on Mitch Moreland if given the chance.
Allen is a flyball hitter, so he was a pretty poor fit in Oakland from the start. Not only is the Coliseum outfield big, but the vast expanse of foul territory turns more infield pops into outs. He’d be a whole lot more likely to contribute in Texas. He still wouldn’t hit for a strong average, but he’d be a better bet to come in at .240-.250, and with his power and walk rate, that’d probably make him pretty valuable.
Philadelphia is another team I think Allen would help, but the Phillies aren’t going to cut any of their veteran part-timers to make room for him, even if he might be a better stopgap first baseman than anyone else on the roster.
If Texas passes, then I don’t see any obvious candidates to claim Allen. The Cubs are being pretty aggressive in trying to collect talent, but they’ll probably pass unless they think Allen is athletic enough to contribute as a part-time outfielder (he started 14 games in the left field for the Diamondbacks in 2010). I’d like to see Allen in Yankee Stadium, but the Bombers don’t have room on their bench. Allen is out of options, so if a team claims him and tries sending him to Triple-A, he’d have to go right back on waivers again.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)