Apr 9, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
After extending shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera through the 2014 season last week, the Indians have successfully locked up another key piece of their nucleus.
Exact terms aren’t yet known, but the deal likely covers his arbitration seasons and possibly his first year of free agency. Santana is currently under team control through 2016.
Santana, a former Dodgers farmhand, came into tonight’s action with a .244/.364/.464 batting line over his first 204 games in the big leagues. His impressive rookie season in 2010 was shortened due to knee surgery, but the 25-year-old bounced back last season to hit .239/.351/.457 with 27 homers, 79 RBI and an .808 OPS over 155 games.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)