Apr 9, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
After extending shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera through the 2014 season last week, the Indians have successfully locked up another key piece of their nucleus.
Exact terms aren’t yet known, but the deal likely covers his arbitration seasons and possibly his first year of free agency. Santana is currently under team control through 2016.
Santana, a former Dodgers farmhand, came into tonight’s action with a .244/.364/.464 batting line over his first 204 games in the big leagues. His impressive rookie season in 2010 was shortened due to knee surgery, but the 25-year-old bounced back last season to hit .239/.351/.457 with 27 homers, 79 RBI and an .808 OPS over 155 games.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)