Apr 9, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
After extending shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera through the 2014 season last week, the Indians have successfully locked up another key piece of their nucleus.
Exact terms aren’t yet known, but the deal likely covers his arbitration seasons and possibly his first year of free agency. Santana is currently under team control through 2016.
Santana, a former Dodgers farmhand, came into tonight’s action with a .244/.364/.464 batting line over his first 204 games in the big leagues. His impressive rookie season in 2010 was shortened due to knee surgery, but the 25-year-old bounced back last season to hit .239/.351/.457 with 27 homers, 79 RBI and an .808 OPS over 155 games.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)