Apr 9, 2012, 11:43 PM EDT
After extending shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera through the 2014 season last week, the Indians have successfully locked up another key piece of their nucleus.
Exact terms aren’t yet known, but the deal likely covers his arbitration seasons and possibly his first year of free agency. Santana is currently under team control through 2016.
Santana, a former Dodgers farmhand, came into tonight’s action with a .244/.364/.464 batting line over his first 204 games in the big leagues. His impressive rookie season in 2010 was shortened due to knee surgery, but the 25-year-old bounced back last season to hit .239/.351/.457 with 27 homers, 79 RBI and an .808 OPS over 155 games.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)